When Can I Move Silkies Outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laxrick, Jan 3, 2009.

1. laxrick

laxrick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    My silkies are about 6 weeks old, and their feathers are coming in nicely. At what age should I move them outside to the shed I've set up as a coop? I live in Maryland, and it sometimes gets cold, but typically our lows are in the 30s.

Also, since I'm moving them to a shed while it's still cold outside, are there any special requirements or equipment (i.e. heat lamps) I should set up?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I moved mine out at 8 or 9 weeks. Just make sure that you have a 250 watt red heat lamp in their coop. How big is the coop? If the coops is very big, you might want 2 heat lamps set up. Also make sure to put down lots of straw. Straw is hollow so it holds the heat in and the chicks will stay warm.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. laxrick

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    Cool, I have two heat lamps and I have straw down. It's large though, about 20' x 8' with nothing in there with them, just empty ground..

4. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Sounds like your all set. Good Luck.

If you have a thermometer I would set that in their just so you can be sure the temps dont get to low. At 6 weeks they can be in 70 degree temps at the lowest.

5. laxrick

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    I'm afraid with such a large space that they may wander from the heat lamps. Should I build some pens with hardware cloth and fence posts to create a smaller space for them so they won't wander away from the heat lamps?

6. SundownWaterfowl

If you have the stuff available, you can do that if you think they will wander from the heat lamps. When I moved mine outside, they were moved into a small pen so I never had problems with them going away from the heat lamp.

7. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    Chicks are smarter than ya think [​IMG] They will find their way back to the heat if they feel in need of it. Silkies tend to stick together anyway. They will keep each other warm. Many is the time I have found mine (I have 24) all in a jumble of feet and top knots...[​IMG])

8. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

my seven have all been out, against conventional wisdom as told to me, since they were about four weeks. Or so. they are ten weeks now. No heat lamp. They have a draft free coop (a converted little kids playhouse...like the step 2 variety, plastic) and a enclosed run. If it's gonna be real cold at night I heat up a SnuggleSafe and put it in their "cave" a small animal travel cage with the door removed. They can go in there and stay warm, but they just go in and out all day. At night I put it in there again and close up thier coop. they've been fine...in colorado cold.

9. laxrick

Oct 30, 2008
    Princess Anne, MD
    Thanks for the replies! I certainly won't miss the brooder's odor!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by