When can I move them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gvnam, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Gvnam

Gvnam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    My black sex links are 3 weeks old and are living in my house... When can I kick them out?? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] the temperature outside is about 55-70 in the morning and it gets Dow. Into the upper 30's at night [​IMG] I have yet to move the heating lamp out into the big girls house.

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I would wait until 1 1/2 months.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They don't have to be in the house at all, but they have to be kept warm til well feathered, 6 to 8 weeks. It's a bit tricky to keep them around 80 in a coop in 30 degree weather, but it can be done. I would think you would need your heat source on a thermostat.

Old fashioned brooders, for a large number of chicks, were a sort of low metal umbrella that gave them plenty of choice to move toward or away from the heat, which they can do just fine after a few days old.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do you plan to run electricity to the coop? If so, move 'em out!!! There's no reason to brood inside if daytimes are above 50 and nights are above 25. Good heat lamps and good arrangements and it's a piece of cake.

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I moved my Black Sex Links out when they were five weeks...but they were fully feathered. I think they got their feathers early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by