When Can I Move Them...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Buffrington, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi

I Have 4 BO's and 2 PK chicks in a brooder at home and was wondering when can I move them to the coop? I currently have 1 BO rooster 5 BO pullet hens. I understand this question has been asked one gazillion times before.

Looking at temps in South Africa, currently 40F degrees at night and 70F degrees during the day.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    When they are fully feathered...6-8 weeks. Unless you provide heat in the coop, then earlier.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Will they be with the rooster and hens? If so waiting until they are closer to the same size might be best. My chicks went outside right before 3wks old and used a heat lamp constantly for awhile, then I turned it off during the day and about a week later I turned it off permanently. By the time I turned if off for good the temps during the day were 70s-80s and at night 50s-60s.

There are many people on this site that move their chicks to the coop around 4wks. As long as they have the right amount of heat then its fine. Cooler temps will help them feather out faster too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by