When can I put my 2 months old chicks in with my hens? Do's and Dont'

ange

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
CORNING NY
I have 4. 2 month old chicks, when do I plaCE THEM IN THE COOP WITH THE OTHER HENS? tHEY AR ENOW SEPERATED. i HAVE HEARD THEY CAN KILL OR PECK EACH OTHER TO DEATH, AND i ALSO SEE LOTS CHICKWENS ALL TOGETHER. wHAT IS THE IDEA?

I have 3 different age chickens/chicks together right now in the same coop and all are getting along famously. The trick is to have a separate area with chicken wire for the new ones to be in so they all can see each other and get used to each other. I leave the new ones in the partition for a week or two and then put them together. Mine are free range so they are together outside from the first time I let the new ones out. Last year I had major problems introducing new members but this year I can't believe how smoothly it has gone.

When they are as big as the other hens and can peck back. the feathers will fly!! establishing a new pecking order is brutal.... My "chicks" are 14 weeks old and my 1 year old hens are very very mean to them. and frequently attack them. Believe me one peck can, and will, pull out many many feathers. they are separated by a fence now and they are still mean to them! intimidating them through the fence! it's not for the faint of heart...

Connie

Quote:
That's completely different from what I am experiencing. I HAD that sort of trouble last year but now with the partition in place all is tranquility. The only time they squabble is around feeding time when we give them some scratch. The older ones try to chase the younger ones away. My older chickens are 1+ yrs. The other groups are 10 and 6 weeks. Below is a pic of the removable partitionI constructed in my coop.

Partition(2).jpg

I guess my once sweet little one year old hens are just bullies...
sad.png
They have had a look but not touch policy going on now for about 7 weeks. when ever they get a chance they bully them. one jumped the fence today. I heard a bunch of squawking and went to look to see one of the hens plucking the feathers out of one of my 14 week old chicks... lots of yelling and screaming going on. needless to say I am going to have 2 coops now. second one is almost finished.

Connie

Back
Top Bottom