When can I put my chicks outside with a heat lamp?

laverne34

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I'm sure this question has been asked before but what is the best age to put my bantam's outside? I live in Tucson, AZ so the forecast this week is 67-79 during the day and 40-46 during the night. They will have their own coop with a heat lamp...they're getting too big for the brooder.

Mine are in my shed with a heat lamp and I just got them. I'm not allowed to have them in the house anymore after the last time that resulted in a complete redo of the master bath
hide.gif

I live in Gilbert and my babies are about a week and a half old. It is in the 80's and 90's during the day. Can I move them outside? Do they need a heat lamp? I'm thinking lamp at night only.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm in Mesa and I'm considering leaving them out tonight with the heat lamp. I had it on all day for them too in the run. But they didn't go near it much. But I figured, just on case.

I live in Gilbert and my babies are about a week and a half old. It is in the 80's and 90's during the day. Can I move them outside? Do they need a heat lamp? I'm thinking lamp at night only.

So, update, mine did fine last night. I checked on them several times and they were always near the heat lamp, but never directly underneath it, so I figured it was low enough that if it got colder they could find more heat. They were up and perky and happy this morning. The big girls are obsessed with trying to get to them so they can give a best down. Hopefully they'll get less interested.

Anyway, they were fine. I think I'd bring them in if it was windy overnight, but otherwise it seems fine. I'd keep the heat lamp on at all times though since they are so young and you never know.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom