When can I put my chicks outside with a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laverne34, Mar 7, 2011.

1. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm sure this question has been asked before but what is the best age to put my bantam's outside? I live in Tucson, AZ so the forecast this week is 67-79 during the day and 40-46 during the night. They will have their own coop with a heat lamp...they're getting too big for the brooder.

2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Mine go into the brooder in an unheated garage at on week old. My temps are down below zero and they are fine as long as they have the heat lamp.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Mine are in my shed with a heat lamp and I just got them. I'm not allowed to have them in the house anymore after the last time that resulted in a complete redo of the master bath [​IMG]

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, there's no problem as long as they have the heat lamp and NO drafts.

Just check on 'em to make sure they do not appear to be too cold.

[​IMG]

5. laverne34

laverne34 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the responses! OK this weekend...they're moving to their coop.

6. littlefamily

littlefamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    I live in Gilbert and my babies are about a week and a half old. It is in the 80's and 90's during the day. Can I move them outside? Do they need a heat lamp? I'm thinking lamp at night only.

7. ChicksOfHazzard

ChicksOfHazzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'm in Mesa and I'm considering leaving them out tonight with the heat lamp. I had it on all day for them too in the run. But they didn't go near it much. But I figured, just on case.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChicksOfHazzard

ChicksOfHazzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013

So, update, mine did fine last night. I checked on them several times and they were always near the heat lamp, but never directly underneath it, so I figured it was low enough that if it got colder they could find more heat. They were up and perky and happy this morning. The big girls are obsessed with trying to get to them so they can give a best down. Hopefully they'll get less interested.

Anyway, they were fine. I think I'd bring them in if it was windy overnight, but otherwise it seems fine. I'd keep the heat lamp on at all times though since they are so young and you never know.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by