when can I put the babies in with the pullets

jathall

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
I have 6 pullets that are 6 1/2 weeks old. I couldn't resist buying 2 brahma chicks.
love.gif
They are 1 1/2 weeks old.. When is it safe to put them altogether? Right now their cages are beside eachother so they can watch eachother but we should have our coop done tomorrow and the big girls get to move on up. I'm hoping to put the babies in the coop with the other girls when they are 5 to 6 weeks old.. Does that sound right???

Integrating is difficult, and will take some time. I have done it successfully by allowing them to see each other (fence between them) for a month, then letting them all free range together for a couple weeks, and then putting them in together. I do this at night, at bedtime (errrr, roost time). There will be squabbles, and you should monitor them closely for awhile.

Good luck!

I have a 5 wk old RIR chick that swallowed a string and I was taking care of separately from the other 5wk olds. I had her in her own box but she jumped out and landed inside the brooder of 3 newly hatched goslings. As soon as I saw her head poking out of the box, my heart stopped because I was sure she had pecked them or stepped all over the poor unstable babies, but she was cuddling amoungst them underneath the lamp! Just as I weaned her off it ofcourse. But ohwell, she's a sweetie. The newly hatched gosling will go NOWHERE without her, it's the cutest thing! And now I've integrated the goslings (now older) with some closely aged goslings, 1 week old chicks and 2 wk old turkeys. They all get along fine but the brooder is huge. 6x4 and 3 feet tall.

Good luck with your birds.
hugs.gif

Sierra

Thanks for the advice Kathyinmo. I'll do just as you said!! Hopfully it works for me too!!!
NapoleanGoose ,that is soo cute!!

Back
Top Bottom