When can I remove them from the incubator?!? Help, please!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by awesomefowl, Oct 30, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

My two silkie babies hatched yesterday evening. The first one was white, had 5 toes on each foot and is bigger. His head is starting to dry. The second one took a while coming out of the shell, and is spraddle legged.
    My question is, can I take the little guy (girl, we hope) out of the incubator if I keep him warm (I could hold him next to me for body heat?)? He is still wet but I'm afraid if i leave him in there he will have leg problems so should I fix them now? I was thinking of making a little thing to keep his poor spraddled legs together-how will this work?
    Also, the other chick can walk normally (he is still figureing it out) but should I take him out too?
    Any help would be GREATLY apprieciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. awesomefowl

My poor chickies are waiting, or I would not be so insistent.
    Can I take them out now to fix the spraddle? Thx!

4. awesomefowl

[​IMG] LOL!

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    How wet are they?

6. awesomefowl

Wet. Except for the white one's head it is a bit fluffy and dry.

7. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    Personally, I would await until they dry off and fluff up. Usually while they are still wet, they are resting up from hatching.

8. awesomefowl

Okay. I guess I'll wait, then fix the spraddle legs. thanks!

9. awesomefowl

P.S.: Chicks are dry, happy, cute, and friend is estatic. Thanks! [​IMG]

10. SonRise Silkies

SonRise Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hi, I just noticed this topic and I guess I'm a little late now.
    I leave my chicks in the incubator till they are dry...if they are not too crowded and moving the other eggs around too much. If all are hatched I'd leave them till the next day...they don't NEED to eat and drink for a long time, but usually will eat/drink in a day.. Be sure to dip their beak in the water a time or so, they will get the hang of it.
    Sometimes staying in the incubator is easier on their legs than a slick box or whatever people move them too. If you have tiny wire for them that helps them get a grip.
    Hope this helps, sorry I didn't see your question till now.
    Cheryl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by