When can I start feeding my ladies some treats?

OzarkEgghead

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
My ladies are just now 6 weeks old. They're completely feathered out, are eating & drinking well & are living in their enclosed coop without any supplemental heat. I have 7 ISA Brown's & 8 Black Australorps.

I have an auto-immune reaction to wheat so I can't eat all of the usual breads, cakes, cookies, boxed & pre-prepared foods that people normally have as part of their diet. Because of this, I do all of my cooking from scratch & eat a LOT of fresh vegetables. How old do my girls need to be before I can start giving them the veggie scraps from my kitchen? They are currently confined to their coop until I can get a run built in the Spring & are on 18% feed, so do I need to feed them some grit with those scraps?

Thanks, in advance, everybody!!

My ladies are just now 6 weeks old.  They're completely feathered out, are eating & drinking well & are living in their enclosed coop without any supplemental heat.  I have 7 ISA Brown's & 8 Black Australorps.

I have an auto-immune reaction to wheat so I can't eat all of the usual breads, cakes, cookies, boxed & pre-prepared foods that people normally have as part of their diet.  Because of this, I do all of my cooking from scratch & eat a LOT of fresh vegetables.  How old do my girls need to be before I can start giving them the veggie scraps from my kitchen?  They are currently confined to their coop until I can get a run built in the Spring & are on 18% feed, so do I need to feed them some grit with those scraps?    

Thanks, in advance, everybody!!
You Can Start Right Now If You Wish Too! They'll probably look at the snacks weird at first but then they'll try it and will all join in to chow down.

Yes, they need chick grit (sized for their age),
to digest just about anything other than chicken pellets, crumbles or mash.

Might want to make sure their feed doesn't contain any wheat, so eating the eggs doesn't bother your belly.
Not sure if it's the same, but I have a buddy who raises corn free broilers and layers for someone allergic to corn.

Back
Top Bottom