When can i start feeding newborn chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantam_n00b, May 22, 2010.

1. bantam_n00b

bantam_n00b Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    When can i start feeding newborn chicks? Today would be the second day that most of them have hatched. I introduced some started feed yesterday just in case but they werent really interested. Also, does the feed need to be dampen with water so the chicks can eat them or should i just give it to them dry? These are oeg bantam chicks by the way.

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    No, dont dampen it. Have you dipped their beaks in water? When I take them out of the incubator, I dip each chicks beak in water. They will usually start eating within a few hours, but I've had some wait until the next day.....

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

;)You could try scratching at the starter feed with your finger tip, to see if that helps get them interested in it. I'd serve it dry, and NOT add any water. Keep water available in a seperate dish or container.

4. bantam_n00b

Apr 17, 2010
    Quote:I havent done that yet but these were hatched by a broody hen so i figured she would teach them how to eat and drink? Are you sure i dont need to dampen it because the chick starter seems a bit big to them?

5. bantam_n00b

Apr 17, 2010
    Quote:So i should probably go and change the feed then? Because i dampened their feed yesterday.

6. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Yep I'd change it, chicken feed and get moldy fast. The hen will teach them about food and water.

7. bantam_n00b

Apr 17, 2010
    I just got back from changing the feed when i tried to take the old feed out it was hard but i got it out. The chicks seemed to be pecking at the feed so hopefully they'll get a hang of it sooner or later. I just hope the feed isnt too big for them to eat. I did seem them chase this bug around and eat it so that was encouraging. When can i take the cardboard out under the pen? Also does the nutrition of the mom before she went broody effect the eggs and how healthy the chicks turn out when they hatch?

8. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I'm confused by your questions. Cardboard? Nutrition of the mom?? Is something wrong with the mother?

Also, you said the feed seems big........what are you trying to feed them? They should be on chick starter.....

Dampened and wet chicken food is a big no-no.

9. bantam_n00b

Apr 17, 2010
    Quote:Because the chicks are outside in the pen with the mama hen, i put cardboard underneath the pen so the chicks wouldn't catch any disease from pecking at the dirt? Or thats what i thought i was supposed to do? By the nutrition of the mom, no shes not sick, i just meant that does the nutrition of the mom before or during she starts laying egg effect how the chicks turn out i.e. how healthy the chicks are and such. I am feeding the chicks on purina's start and grow. Also i heard that too much calcium early on for chicks would damage their internal organs or digestive tracts? Im not saying that start and grow has too much calcium but i was just wondering.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chicks raised by a hen can be on the ground, there's no problem with that.

I grind up my chick starter in the blender for the first few days because my bantam chicks are so small. I agree with the other comments about wetting the feed...I wouldn't do that for fear of mouldy food. Be sure to clean out your feeder well to make sure you've gotten all the old feed out before you put in fresh. I only put a day's supply of food out for chicks and throw out what's left over at the end of the day, giving fresh feed every morning.

You wouldn't want to feed layer feed to chicks because it has calcium in it. Chick starter or grower doesn't, so that's fine. Your hen won't need the extra calcium, either, until she's back laying which shouldn't be for some weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by