When can I start feeding 'treats' to chicks?

OfWolvesAndHen

Songster
Apr 15, 2021
I've seen mixed information on this topic so I would like to ask here before I feed them anything! To clarify, their main diet is medicated chick starter and I am not looking to substitute this! I would, however, like to see how they react to some different little snacks, just for the fun of it. Perhaps it's just the first hatch honeymoon stage... but I want to spoil my babies before they go off to their new homes! Of course, I don't want to introduce anything new into their diet if they're too young (3 to 4 days old), but again I can't find any clear cut information. Some sources say it's okay as long as the treats are given in moderation and chopped into appropriate sizes; others say no treats until 3 weeks or older.

So, what does the BYC jury say?

I would wait until they are at least 1-2 weeks old. Then, as long as they have access to grit, you can give them some little treats.
Awesome! Since they're on chick starter now I haven't began to provide grit but I plan on doing so once I start offering treats. I know their nutritional needs are being met but I would still like to see them try some fresh fruits and veggies. :)

With this in mind, what is the best way to provide grit? Should it be sprinkled in with the starter or offered separately?

I've seen mixed information on this topic so I would like to ask here before I feed them anything! To clarify, their main diet is medicated chick starter and I am not looking to substitute this! I would, however, like to see how they react to some different little snacks, just for the fun of it. Perhaps it's just the first hatch honeymoon stage... but I want to spoil my babies before they go off to their new homes! Of course, I don't want to introduce anything new into their diet if they're too young (3 to 4 days old), but again I can't find any clear cut information. Some sources say it's okay as long as the treats are given in moderation and chopped into appropriate sizes; others say no treats until 3 weeks or older.

So, what does the BYC jury say?
I had the same exact thinking! I asked and asked and now the girls are 3 weeks old and I pulled up some sod from the yard and it had a couple grubs in it. They loved it :)
I feed them non medicated chicken starter with the 20% protein and the grit i sprinkle on a piece of bark with some food mixed in. They went NUTS for that sod. Moving forward if I had to do it over, I would wait until they are 2 weeks old before giving anything other than starter feed and grit just in order to make sure every chick has a healthy baseline to start with. But, I am super noob, but just telling you what i have gathered thus far 🐥 💗

Back
Top Bottom