1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I stop slicing and dicing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 6chick*start, May 25, 2011.

1. 6chick*start

6chick*start Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    NE OKlahoma
    I'm probably being too mother hen-ish by still dicing their treats into little tiny pieces.
    10 girls, okay maybe 1 roo, at 8/9 weeks old.
    They have been getting their lovely sliced and diced fruit and veggie treats since 2 weeks.
    They are in a good sized run all day and I supply plenty of grit.
    Still on medicated chick feed.
    Can I just maybe 1/2 things and throw them in now?

2. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    Mine are 3 months and I am still slicing and dicing....

3. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    If it's whole veggies and fruit I would just throw it in their and let them peck it to pieces!!!

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I throw everything in whole as soon as they understand that they are treats...the veggies and fruit last way longer that way and it gives them something to do.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If you enjoy it, it doesn't hurt anything to chop it up. But yeah, you could have stopped weeks ago.

6. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Man...I'm a terrible chick mom... I never cut anything up. I just threw whole florets of broccoli, or whatever in there...

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:Don't feel bad, I do it too (or don't, in this case). And you know what? I feed my kids their broccoli with the stems on also. My mother was horrified. I guess I'm a lazy mom.

8. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Quote:Don't feel bad, I do it too (or don't, in this case). And you know what? I feed my kids their broccoli with the stems on also. My mother was horrified. I guess I'm a lazy mom.

The stems are edible so I don't see any harm in leaving them on! My kids used to call them trees!!

9. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    It's actually easier for them to get bits and pieces to eat when it isn't chopped up. When they pick at something solid, they can pull away what they want from the weight of the item..when they are in small chunks, the hole chunk gets thrown around.

10. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    That's what their beaks are for!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by