When can I switch from crumbles to pellets

Ok, I'm going to switch them back. Thanks for the info! I'm kind of ticked that the guy at the store told me layer feed was ok. I said to him, "you don't know much about chickens either do you?" and he got kind of offended. I should have followed my instincts.

I am keeping them on the grower feed...what I was wondering is when can I stop giving them the crumbled form and move them to the pelleted form of the grower feed.

Ok here's the scoop on most (not all) brands of chicken feed. Starter (usually around 20% for dual purpose or laying birds, 24% for turkeys, meat birds, and game birds) from day 1 to 8-10 weeks, grower (usually 15-17%) from 10 wks to the time they start laying then layer feed from then on. You can usually switch to a pelleted grower ration around 10-12 weeks. You do not need to feed scratch or corn until they start to lay then that is your choice if you want to supplement their feed with these items. Corn or scratch alone is not enough. It is not recommended to feed corn until winter because it will cause your birds to become to hot!
Just my thoughts on what I've compiled

crumble and pellets are terms to describe the consistancy of the feed not the contents. If you have starter/grower pellets you are giving them the same feed. I agree that you shouldn't start laying feed until they lay the first egg. When that happens i will mix the last of the grower with the layer feed until it's gone.

So, you do not trust their opinion, but trust their science?

hmmmmmm...go figure. People get 2 chickens a duck and 2 funny looking funny things.....and they know everything..........but some red-neck, that has been around yard bird all his life.....is a rube.

JIM
old.gif

Quote:
Oh, great, the myth comes up again. Corn does not make chickens hot. This has been claimed on here numerous times but is not true. Here is a thread that addresses the myth of corn overheating chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=74876

For chickens, starter-grower-layer as above is correct. Corn and scratch are treats, and should only be given in limited quantities, like any other treat, at any age. We limit the candy we give our kids for the same reason. Chickens usually would much rather eat scratch or corn than grower or layer. Does not mean it is best for them.

Pellets, crumbles, and mash are referring to the form of the feed, as in whether it is in clumps, or coarse or fine -- not the content. Layer can be mash or crumbles or pellets, for example; it is still layer, meaning it has so much protein, so much calcium, etc. Certainly some feeds have a better proportion of nutrients than others, but in general, they provide what is needed.

I use pellets when I can, because mine waste less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Well, personally, I want to hear all of what people who have been around yard birds all their life have to say.

Research is aimed at commercial operations, so we are scrounging here, I feel.

I'd love to know which post caused you to write this.

Quote:
Me too - did I miss something? I do know that some people said they've received bad advice from feed store workers and just because they sell feed doesn't mean they know what's best for chickens. Afterall, a feed store worker told someone on this thread to feed layer feed to 9 day olds. Was that the comment?

Actually, someone misread my post. My chicks are 9 weeks old, not 9 days. And 3 different feed stores all told me it was okay to feed 9 week old chicks layer feed, that it would not cause them any harm. But pretty much everyone on BYC says it's not okay. As a first time chicken owner, this has been very confusing and I've already wasted money on two types of layer feed because I was assured by the stores that it was okay. BYC has been such a great resource and I appreciate everyone's feedback. Does anyone on BYC agree with the feed stores or have a clue why 3 different places would all tell me the same thing that is different from what experienced chicken owners think?

Back
Top Bottom