1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When can I switch the feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by peep-a-boo, Jan 8, 2013.

1. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    My "chicks" are now 17 weeks. I think I have a week's worth of chick feed left. Do I need to wait for that 1st egg to switch to layer feed or can I switch now?

2. nicolemac

nicolemac Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Isle of Skye
    At 17 weeks they can move onto adult layer feed just now, to make a smooth transition mix your chick feed with with adult feed so they can get used to it - although they probably wouldn't be bothered. At maybe 20 weeks you can start adding extra calcium - just before they start to lay.

3. peep-a-boo

peep-a-boo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Thank you! I forgot about the oyster shells, so thanks for that too!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Or, just feed them an all flock type feed, such as Flock Raiser and offer the calcium source on the side. They'll pick at it, if they need it.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If your planning on offering oyster shells free choice then you don't even need layer feed. You can use the grower blend or stay with a non medicated stater blend or like Fred said an all flock blend but those are more expensive. The only reason I feed a layer blend is it's the only blend I can get in pellets near me. With the layer blend I don't offer added calcium. My chickens waste feed if in crumbles- knock it on ground as eating then it's dead to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by