when can i tell if my chick is a rooster or a hen..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlotaBitCountry, Mar 24, 2012.

1. eggsr4me

eggsr4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I have two chicks about 6 weeks old. One is a barred rock and the other is a rhode island red. I am assuming they will be roosters, because I have noticed
    their combs and wattles to be growing quickly and they started to "chest bump" each other. They seem to get along fine right now, but is there any other signs to look for
    that will confirm the possibility of them being roosters? I have noticed the barred rock looks lighter in color, more white than black.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Best thing to do is to get some good photos and start a thread in the "what breed or gender" section. Be sure to state the age of the birds there.

The lighter colored barred bird is pretty much a hallmark of a rooster. At this age, any comb or redness to the comb or wattles is a male. Chest bumping doesn't really mean anything, pullets do that also. Pullets also have spur nubs, so that doesn't help.

3. MoototheCluck88

MoototheCluck88 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an Amaricana that is 7 weeks old. she/he is aggresive and we can't tell if it is a hen or rooster.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

If it's agressive, eat it. It will only get meaner.

1 person likes this.
  5. MoototheCluck88

Here's the pics:
    #1 Nina, the Welsummer. #2 Fitzhenny, the Cuckoo Maran. #3 Celery, the Ameracauna who's really aggressive. #4 Rita the Bantam Barred Rock.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. MoototheCluck88

Do you need full body pics, or backside pics?

7. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Sorry I never saw those! I'd say we need a full body shot, but the other 3 look like girls. I can't say for the 3rd one.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I look at the feathers around the neck of #3. See how they are long and skinny? Compare that to the other chickens you have. They have shorter feathers around their necks. I am betting my penny that you have a little roo. Time will tell watch the wattles and the comb. It is harder to tell when they are teeny boppers. Roosters wattles and combs will become very vibrant red much earlier than the pullets. The comb will get more pronounced too and before long you will hear a wierd sound which is an early crow.

Just my humble opinion
    Caroline

9. MoototheCluck88

When will the comb and wattle start growing in?

10. elie2

elie2 New Egg

Nov 14, 2013
    all of themm(hen)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by