When can I tell if my turkey is a Tom or Hen???

I want to know too!! I have Narragansett poults of two different ages; 2 are about 5 weeks and 3 are about 3 weeks. Of the 5 week olds, the guy had a lot of birds and picked the smallest saying they would be hens. One of those does not like being handled at all!! There's also a distinct difference in the shape of the head. The other one seems to like being held. I'm wondering if they are different sexes. Can't wait for them to grow, but still not too sure what to look for.

I have two Royal Palm poults and I'm thinking they are a pair. They are both only about 3 weeks old, but one has grown out black markings on his feathers already, while the other is almost still a solid white. But watching them, I can also see a difference in their personality - one is definitely more aggressive than the other. They also have different voices, as one is MUCH, MUCH louder! Although I'm really hoping to get their large outdoor pen finished before the parrot living in the same room, practices chirping enough to sound exactly like them.... (yes I've caught her practicing many times already, but it doesn't match yet).

And just after typing all of that out, I went outside and sat with them for a few minutes. And reading this thread confirmed what I already thought - the down on the "male" is starting to look pretty thin on his neck. The "female" still seems to have a full thick coat of down right now.

And the "male" is also slightly larger than the "female" in both height and girth. I didn't get a chance to compare length. So it looks like out of 8 eggs, only three hatched, and only two of those are surviving, so I totally lucked out by getting a male and a female!

Back
Top Bottom