When can I tell?

SarahInAlaska

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
I missed the boat trying to find someone to sex my chicks when I first got them (got them straight run but I was hoping to find someone to tell me.). Anywho, I have a variety of breeds and she's ranging from about 3 weeks to about 6 or 7 weeks. I'm almost positive of two cockerels as they have huge combs and the combs and wattles are already turning red. I would like to start fattening up the roosters as soon as possible so I was hoping to find out when I can be sure if they are cockerels or pullets. Would it help to take pictures? I have 19 chicks but I bought 4 pullets although I've lost two in the mix, lol

The only ABSOLUTE way to be sure is when the hens start laying eggs and the cockerels start crowing LOL

But, you can be almost absolutely sure between a month and three months, depending on the breed of chicken.

Would it help to take pictures? YES!

If you have chicks with huge wattles and combs that are turning read, that you can be pretty sure you have cockerels.

Alright! Thanks! I'm headed off to a doctors appointment the next town over but I'll take pics when I get back!

The only ABSOLUTE way to be sure is when the hens start laying eggs and the cockerels start crowing LOL

But, you can be almost absolutely sure between a month and three months, depending on the breed of chicken.

Would it help to take pictures? YES!

If you have chicks with huge wattles and combs that are turning read, that you can be pretty sure you have cockerels.

Is there somewhere I can find a list of the breeds and when the age is that you can start to tell the difference between roo and hen?

I don't know of anywhere, but maybe someone else does. What kind of chicks do you have?

Cornish Rocks (straight run), New Hamps, Brahmas, and RIR. The only chicks I'm 100% sure on gender are the RIRs, which are roosters. (I'm still not sure why hubby decided to get those as roosters, but I don't ask questions. I just care for the darlings.
wink.png
) I believe the New Hamps and Brahmas are hens, but I'm not 100% sure on that. And the Cornish Rocks are anyone's guess!

i have a 5 week old chick which im sure hes a roo in the 1st pick and another which is the same age but not sure it has a large pink comb but no waddles either the 2nd one is slow or the 1st one is awfully fast growing waddles
[/IMG]

sorry 1st pick came out 2nd is it normal for a 5 week old chick to have comb and waddles like this so soon

Last edited:
In my (short) experience with Barred Rocks, I've discovered it depends on the chick and their rate of development. Not sure about other breeds. One of my cockerels, Zeus, was an obvious boy...his wattles and comb grew fast, huge, and red. Pixie...now I thought HE was a SHE...because it took him a lot longer to develop his. Here's some pics...Zeus first, Pixie second.

This was them at 3 weeks old...again, Zeus first, Pixie second:

Back
Top Bottom