When can my chicks go outside?

I actually took out the lamp all together already. They are doing good without it. As long as they are inside I don't think that they really need it because its warm already. But right now the temp. here in always going between 20 and 40, it needs to get warmer because they are growing fast. And another question someone might be able to answer for me, the other day we noticed a lump quite large on their chest only on one side, but its on all of them. I don't know what it could be, I turned them everyday 3 times a day. Then they got out all right.

A lump on one side of the upper chest is a full crop. The crop allows them to gorge when food is plentiful. It's normal for them to load up in anticipation of night. As long as the little piggies empty it out overnight, they are fine. If it isn't emptying, that's when you have to worry about whether they could have eaten something that has them bound.

I'm new to raising chicks and I'm wondering what "fully feathered" means? I have 7 week old Silkies and 5 week old Red's. We are in southern Oklahoma and the temp at night is in the 40's.

Do they have feathers or down on their heads? That's the last area to worry about. The area under the wings is technically the last to feather but the wings cover it so don't worry if they aren't covered under there.

I'm new to raising chicks and I'm wondering what "fully feathered" means? I have 7 week old Silkies and 5 week old Red's. We are in southern Oklahoma and the temp at night is in the 40's.
If they have lots of down still showing, then they are most likely still too under feathered for outdoors. You want good coverage on most of their body. Think of it like a jacket. If you wear one that is too small, the cold will get in, but wear one that is the right size and you keep warm all night!

this is dragon, she was about 6-8 weeks old when I put her and her sisters out. i waited for the feathers to be almost completely grown in.

Last edited:
ok thank you. it doesn't seem to be there as big anymore. I was just worried about it a little bit because these are our first babies.

Thank you for the reply. To some point common sense told me they are ok to put out, but then the mothering takes over and it's hard to win that one over because you want to be absolutely sure you are doing right by them. We got down/feathers so off to big chicken world they go. Thanks again!

At 3 weeks old chicks are fine in slightly freezing temperatures. If it gets down to less than 25 degrees I would put them in.

ok thank you
highfive.gif

I was wondering the same thing. Mine are 3 weeks and while I am fine with them inside, it would be nice to let them get some sun during the day or something. I worry most about the wind. We're in Idaho and while the days have been nice the wind blows a lot and I worry about them getting chilled. Can someone post a picture of what a young hen looks like when deemed fully feathered?

Okay so we brought our little ones outside and the chickens started pecking them. whats going on? The hens, chickens, and rooster all started freaking out. what should I do?

Back
Top Bottom