When can my chicks go outside?

Okay so we brought our little ones outside and the chickens started pecking them. whats going on? The hens, chickens, and rooster all started freaking out. what should I do?
wait till they are older- there is no rush really ... and even then you still may have an issue but at least they will be able to defend them selves until a new pecking order establishes

Okay so we brought our little ones outside and the chickens started pecking them. whats going on? The hens, chickens, and rooster all started freaking out. what should I do?

Chickens are territorial. You put intruders in their space and they defended it. Completely normal. If you want to begin the integration process, I'd strongly recommend having a fence between the flock and the newbies. Let them get used to the sight of each other. Then, let them meet out where the little ones can hide or run away if it gets too rough. Once they aren't getting overly harsh treatment, then let them merge. It still won't be peck-free but the chicks should survive the process.

okay. thank you so much very helpful!
thumbsup.gif

if they are fully feathered i wouldnt see why not  at least during the mid day . i have almost 3 week old barred rocks and im hoping by 6- 7 weeks they can go in the big coop. and be locked up till 10 weeks . i live in NE OHIO tho and its still spitting snow  today :(

I'm in ohio too, and plan on having them out in the coop with a heat lamp. Not sure when. I'm near wooster. Where are you?

Terry

I too am in Ohio (west central) and I moved my babies to the transition coop this past weekend. They still have the heat-lamp on them, but they are thriving fine. Just make sure they don't have a draft on them and they'll be fine.

Make sure your birds have all their feathers and don't need to brood lamp. I only let my young chicks out when the weather is nice. Also only give them a choice of being out or being in.

The li
I actually took out the lamp all together already. They are doing good without it. As long as they are inside I don't think that they really need it because its warm already. But right now the temp. here in always going between 20 and 40, it needs to get warmer because they are growing fast. And another question someone might be able to answer for me, the other day we noticed a lump quite large on their chest only on one side, but its on all of them. I don't know what it could be, I turned them everyday 3 times a day. Then they got out all right.

The lump is the crop. It's just where they store the food they eat. No worries :)

My chicks are getting restless! The coop won't be finished til next week probably, they are only three weeks old, but the feathers are looking great!
I open the brooder to clean and change the food & water and they used to just run to the food, now they are super interested in what's going on outside of the brooder and
make a mad dash for the door! I want to take them out during the day to get some air & excercise. I have to get some kind of baby pen and put chicken wire over top of it,
majorly open area here with Hawks over head. (needless to say I don't think I can let them free range :( ) and I don't want to chase six super fast chicks all over the yard today lol.
Heading out to find a pen for them!

My chicks are getting restless!  The coop won't be finished til next week probably, they are only three weeks old, but the feathers are looking great!
I open the brooder to clean and change the food & water and they used to just run to the food, now they are super interested in what's going on outside of the brooder and 
make a mad dash for the door!  I want to take them out during the day to get some air & excercise.  I have to get some kind of baby pen and put chicken wire over top of it, 
majorly open area here with Hawks over head.  (needless to say I don't think I can let them free range :( )  and I don't want to chase six super fast chicks all over the yard today lol.
Heading out to find a pen for them! 

How mobile is the brooder?

I've always let my chicks out from an early age and with supervision. With my first chicks, I had the brooder on the back porch and it was unwieldy to move. I'd gather each chick, haul them to an outdoor enclosure, and let them play. Then, I'd have to gather them again (much greater resistance to this second gathering) and return them to the brooder. It's a hassle, no doubt about it.

Not this time. They are in a brooder/grow-out combo out by the big coop. I just open a door and let them run around because they will go back to their familiar and safe home whenever they are startled or just to take a break. No chasing, no catching, no running off involved. They stay pretty close together (they are a flock, after all) and when one goes back, the rest follow. If I don't want to wait for their break time, I can walk around behind the flock a bit and sort of herd them toward the brooder and they'll run inside. So much easier! I'm already bell training them now that I let them out with the adult flock and they're learning.

Well I took them out in the kiddy pool today, and they didnt want that much, they wanted to get out, so I let them out and let them explore the yard with me watching over them. They stuck in their close little cluster of six. and then they did something I was hoping that they would... they followed me everywhere! Then I sat down under my willow tree and all six of them ran to me and sat on my lap!! I am in total new chicken owner joy!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom