When can my ducklings be outside permanently

They can tolerate those temps. at 3 weeks old, but I would gradually introduce them to the temps., not just put them out and expect them to adjust. Maybe outside during the day for another week and then overnight, unless you can safely provide a heat lamp at night for about another week.
ETA: It doesn't need to be a 250 watt heat lamp either, 100 watt should do.

Last edited:
They can tolerate those temps. at 3 weeks old, but I would gradually introduce them to the temps., not just put them out and expect them to adjust. Maybe outside during the day for another week and then overnight, unless you can safely provide a heat lamp at night for about another week.
ETA: It doesn't need to be a 250 watt heat lamp either, 100 watt should do.
Today is their 2nd day being outside during the daytime, just to clarify.

Today is their 2nd day being outside during the daytime, just to clarify.

Yep, about one more week of that and they should be good to go. Unless you get an unexpected cold snap they won't need heat after about four weeks.
Note: I'm erring on the side of caution. I've taken heat away from ducklings in an outside brooder at two weeks old, in late March, but they had two geese of the same age to snuggle with.

Yep, about one more week of that and they should be good to go. Unless you get an unexpected cold snap they won't need heat after about four weeks.
Note: I'm erring on the side of caution. I've taken heat away from ducklings in an outside brooder at two weeks old, in late March, but they had two geese of the same age to snuggle with.
I do have one Embden gosling the same age as them.

Last edited:
I stick to the rule of 5 degrees per week. they should be fine with temperatures between 70-75. Sure they may survive at lower temperatures but this is not what I do with my birds. My 30 5 week old runner ducklings are outside today and it is damp at 65 degrees. I'm keeping a close eye so that they don't get too cold.

Okay, so it's only 63 degrees and it's daytime, so I'm assuming they can't be out.

With those temps., at 3 weeks old, no I would not let them out.
Our temps are quite a bit different from yours. We've had daytime temps. in the 80s and 90s for a month, with nighttime lows in the 60s and 70s. One of my duck hens is raising 6 call ducklings. Call ducklings tend to be a bit delicate, but they have refused to sleep under her since they were two weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom