When Can My Ducklings Go Outside?

Wolfkat17

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
I am sure that this question has already been posted somewhere, but, I am really tired and cannot even keep my eyes open to look for it. Anyway, I was wondering at what age can I put my three week old ducklings outside. They are getting huge and I have a very large and deep Rubbermaid bin that they are in right now and they are stinking up the house really bad. Just over the last couple of days it has gotten almost unbearable and I change their bedding twice a day. They are currently getting their feathers in and can almost see over the top of the bin when they stand up really tall. "I have a feeling the ducklings I got may not have been day olds?" They are really big and have legs on them like tree trunks. In addition to this, they were trying to jump out of their holding pen while I was cleaning them. They can jump really high! I now have to put them in the shower stall to hold them and I turn the shower head on low and they play around in the water and give themselves a bath and they get drinks from it. They love it. So, in saying all of this any thoughts? I am going to try and get some sleep now so I will catch everyone on the flipside. Thanks for any help that you can give or suggest.

If it's warm enough & feathers are growing in they should be ok. I got mine at the end of April &moved them out 2weeks ago & I'm in the mountains. It's been nice weather till today a bit chilly but they've been out when it was raining and all is well. They can't wait for fresh tub water to play in each day.

I am just housing my ducklings inside until they are big enough to go to my in-laws where they will have access to a pond. Does that change the time frame of when they can go outside?

I have 2 Blue Swedish ducks and they aren't even 2 weeks old yet. I let them out during the day while I'm outside and I let them play in the creek if it is warm enough. They love it, swimming under water and all. It's only about 8 inches deep, if that. I also have a pond, but I'm not letting them even see it until they start getting their feathers. I read where they will drown if let to swim because they can't use their oil glands that young. Mine hardly get wet, the water just rolls off mostly and they at least look like they are using their oil glands. I've been taking them hunting a little, I will roll logs over and they run and get whatever is under there (usually worms and snails). They need some kind of secure housing at night when they are outside though. If you have raccoons they will eat them even through 1 inch fencing, they just reach in and grab them and eat them alive through the fence (not pretty). I don't know how large your ducks are, but hawks can get them too. Do you have a porch or garage you can place them in at night so you can get them out of your house?

Back
Top Bottom