When can my peeps go outside?

poohbidaboo

Hatching
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Hello everyone - I am certainly new to this, we decided to raise a few chickens for egg layers. Easter weekend, we got 3 black and 3 red babies. They are now 5 weeks old and starting to feather nicely. I am not sure when I can actually put them out in their pen & coop, we live in Michigan and they have been living in a spare bath tub. I am afraid the nights are still a little cold for them. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. How cold is your night time temps? At 5 wks they should be getting a lot of their feathers by now. I put mine out in the barn at 5 wks at the beg. of May, but I still had a heat lamp because it was still getting down in the fortys at night then. Can you move them to the garage just to get them out of your spare bathroom. They must be creating a lot of dust by now. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

I live in Michigan too. We are new to chickens too. Ours are about the same age as yours and mine are in the coop. I only put the heat lamp on them at night if it goes below 40. They are doing great and love to be outside.

Have you been lowering their temp every week? I had been taking mine outside during the day a week before we moved them out to the coop.

We even forgot to shut them in the coop last night and they were fine. When i got up to go to work this morning they were running around outside!

Thank you for the insight, the nights go down into the 50's but I think this weekend they are headed out....yes I am crazy and addicted for keeping them in my home for the first 5 weeks, but cleaning up the dust was well worth it (I got tons of enjoyment watching them grow so big so fast) LOL

Back
Top Bottom