when can my roo mix with the hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barredbeans7, Jun 4, 2012.

1. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 In the Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    How old does a rooster have to be in order to be with my hens...also will my silkie rooster fertilize my barred rocks eggs.

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I don't think that it's age so much as size. You really want to wait until everyone is about the same size, though if you're referring to a silkie roo being integrated in a LF flock, you may be in for trouble. Due to general fluffiness and fluff-obstructed vision, silkies tend to present "pick on me targets" for other chickens, particularly LF with unobstructed sight. So he might be in for a rough time, and I'm not sure how he'd do fertilizing one of those big fluffy-rumped hens.

If I were you, I'd probably wait until your fellow was crowing and "raring to go" and then put him in a decent-sized crate (with food/water) IN the run with the rest of the flock for a good week or so. Then start free-ranging him with them after 3-4 days. Let everyone see everyone else and soften the blow to the pecking order once you loose him on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: