1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when can they go outside for the night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisamarie, May 12, 2008.

1. lisamarie

lisamarie Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    northern california
    Hi All,

I have 6 week old chicks and I am wondering if it's too early to leave them outside in coop for the night? they are all fully feathered except for my Brahma (not sure why she is slow to get feathers) and the temps will be in the low to mid 40's during the night and the '70s during the day. I have 2 orpingtons, 1 jersey giant, 1 silkie, 1 brahma, and 2 ameracauna. If it's too early, when should I wait until?

thanks!

2. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I'd like to also... know.
    6 weeks~ mine are 2 weeks.... and I thought at 3 weeks they might go out.... maybe not now!

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Mine have been out since 3 1/2 weeks (40 at night, 50-60 day) with a 250 watt heat lamp. Coop windows open in the day for fresh air, closed at night so no drafts. They are fine.

Edited to add- I actually have 2 lights (one night was 33 so I added a 100 watt light). I turn the 250 off in the day as long as it will be warmer than 55ish and use the 100. I turn both off during the day if the temp is 65 or warmer.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  4. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    I can't answer your question but it made me think of another question...I'm due to get my chicks on June 4th and was wondering if it will be warm enough to keep the brooder in the garage with the lamp until i get my coop?

5. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Mine have been outside since 2 weeks, the first 3 days we went out to make sure they was in the coop, after that they needed no prmpting as they don't like the dark.

I started with 2 250 watt heat lights just for redundencey in case one blew out. Now theres one light on. Chicks aren't nearly as fragile as you think they are to temps that aren't just plain cold.
    If your cold they prolly are too. If your comfortable they are too.

Now the teens are 5 weeks old and don't even consider going inside till it dark.

The Brood Hen and 7 chicks, she rarely takes them inside til its dark. They don't spend much time under her staying warm either with 70 to 80 degree days. Just a few times a day more for sleeping I think than to actually stay warm.

They're Cuckoo Marans if that matters.

6. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as your natural temps, or heatlamp temps, are OK for their age, they can be in the coop at any age. [​IMG]

7. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    Quote:Is there a chart somewhere that tells what temp for what age? Mine at 4 wks are getting too rambunctious for the kitchen.

8. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    That's good to know.
    About the temps.
    Mine are getting quite rambunctious too! They are in my bathroom.... and they are waning to fly!

Now would you still keep them in the brooding pen inside the coop? That would me my question to the ones with experience.

one husband
    one son
    one old dog
    one cat
    10 chicks

And several raccoons, and skunk ....

9. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:Same here! [​IMG]

10. catfish