When can they go to the coop.

Clminer

Chirping
Sep 27, 2018
Tennessee
I have 15, 5 week old chicks. 4 Black Stars, 4 Red Stars, 4 White Leghorns, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Mystery Roo. I live in East Tennessee and the temps are getting into 30’s at night and occasionally 20’s. Right now chicks are in a large brooder under a carport with a heat lamp and doing great but running out of room and trying to escape everytime I open it to feed and water. My coop does not have any electricity and is to far to ever have it. When can they go to the coop in these cool temps?

Probably in another week. In the meantime, wean them off of the heat lamp by raising it a bit each day. Till they aren't using it the last couple days before they go out so they are acclimated.
It is going to be quite warm here this weekend and I'm moving some 5 week old chicks out on Saturday.
That’s what I was thinking. 6 weeks seems to be the magic number. I can’t really raise the heat lamp with my setup. What about turning it off for a few hours a day???

I would try turning it off completely and watch their reaction.
What is the temperature where they are now?
What I've done sometimes is to put the heat source outside the brooder aiming it at the side so there is a warm spot.
I don't use heat lamps any more but another option is to get a lower wattage ceramic heat emitter like 50, 75 or 100. You can just use a regular light bulb instead of a heat lamp too. Wrap it in aluminum foil so you can provide the chicks a daily dark period.

I would try turning it off completely and watch their reaction.
What is the temperature where they are now?
What I've done sometimes is to put the heat source outside the brooder aiming it at the side so there is a warm spot.
I don't use heat lamps any more but another option is to get a lower wattage ceramic heat emitter like 50, 75 or 100. You can just use a regular light bulb instead of a heat lamp too. Wrap it in aluminum foil so you can provide the chicks a daily dark period.
49 degrees right now. Gonna be 31 tonight

I got two of them dimmer cords. You plug into outlet and plug light into it. But it's for indoor use. 20181125_080904.jpg . I do have one in my old coop for 2 1/2 years and use daily for the light source. It is protected from the elements. I would not use outside with the possibility of the switch getting wet. GC

Back
Top Bottom