When can we let our chicks stay in the coop overnight?

May 16, 2020
We live in Oregon, so right now our days are between 70-80 degrees F. Our nights right now are between 40-50 degrees.

Our chickens are between 3-4 weeks old. Scruffy, but their feathers are coming in.

...hit 'enter' too quickly.

I meant to go on to say that they're very accustomed to the outdoors, they've been roaming the yard and their coop since they were about a week old. In fact, they tend to get antsy on rainy days when we can't let them outside- they LOVE the outdoors.
They're very comfortable in their coop, too. In the afternoon they climb up to the inside of their coop to nap in the shade, and they love to run around and scratch for grubs and eat seeds. They LOVE the outdoors.
What we want to know is what age and at what temperatures we can keep them outside overnight.

I put mine out at 3 or 4 weeks in a tractor with a heat lamp they should be fine the temps only got down to 50 here so I don't know about forties but it should be good

15912252049696129581892365988405.jpg

This is my setup right now, the heat light isn't on because it's pretty warm outside but I do turn it on at night

We live in Oregon, so right now our days are between 70-80 degrees F. Our nights right now are between 40-50 degrees.

Our chickens are between 3-4 weeks old. Scruffy, but their feathers are coming in.

Now is fine. Are they weaned off of heat? If not, wean them first for a few days ~ a week, then put them out.

This is my setup right now, the heat light isn't on because it's pretty warm outside but I do turn it on at night

My goodness, they don't need heat at all - those birds are fully feathered.

Back
Top Bottom