When can we start eating our ducks eggs?

My question about ducks laying is this......

As some of you know already I rescued 2 Aylesbury's that were not being cared for ...they are doing really well and I am pleased with their progress ....I still think they are both female as no drake feathers in sight and they sound the same! ........I want to put the 3 bigger ducks into the same duck house at night but ....Bobby-Girl is laying already but the 2 rescue ducks have not yet .....so...question is.....will their eggs be ok to eat as soon as they start laying because once they do start laying I wont know who laid what egg and don't want to have to discard Bobby-Girls eggs as well as the rescue ducks eggs....i wondered if the rescue ducks would be late in laying due to their poor care (or rather lack of) ...and because they were under nourished will they lay anyway or only if they are healthy and well balanced nutritionally wise? ....I was told they are 6 months old but not sure how accurate that is!

My question about ducks laying is this......

As some of you know already I rescued 2 Aylesbury's that were not being cared for ...they are doing really well and I am pleased with their progress ....I still think they are both female as no drake feathers in sight and they sound the same! ........I want to put the 3 bigger ducks into the same duck house at night but ....Bobby-Girl is laying already but the 2 rescue ducks have not yet .....so...question is.....will their eggs be ok to eat as soon as they start laying because once they do start laying I wont know who laid what egg and don't want to have to discard Bobby-Girls eggs as well as the rescue ducks eggs....i wondered if the rescue ducks would be late in laying due to their poor care (or rather lack of) ...and because they were under nourished will they lay anyway or only if they are healthy and well balanced nutritionally wise? ....I was told they are 6 months old but not sure how accurate that is!
They may need to catch up a bit since they weren't cared for properly, so they may not lay till spring which maybe better anyway give them even more time to get their health good. But unless they were on antibiotics or other kind of meds, if they do begin to lay their eggs should be fine to eat. Just watch for soft shell or other shell problems it may mean they need extra calcium which can be helped by oyster shell given in separate dish, they will eat as they need it. I keep it out year round for mine even though they get a good diet. So sweet of you to give these girls a good fresh start I know they have to be happier.

Thank you Miss Lydia

I know they are happier I can tell by their quacks when they greet me!

When they lived with the neighbour and I would go out every morning to let Bobby-Girl out, and bring the babies from indoors to the outside pen for some natural daylight they would call to e over the fence across the gardens....I would call over "hello duck ducks" and they would quack back, but now they live with me they are so much louder and more vocal ...and they even sound stronger in health if that makes sense? They have come from a dirty pen with no food or water, no straw to bed down on and only roofing felt to walk on!....to free ranging all day long, food and fresh water available constantly, treats daily, a bath of water to swim in and a new pen filled with straw to sleep in every night.....so I should hope they are much happier lol

DuckDuck (aka DD) couldnt even walk!....she would crawl around on her stomach and couldnt even flap her wings I had to carry her to and fro for bed, swim time and food etc it was heartbreakng to see I didnt think she would make it......she is now happily foraging around with her buddy Big Bird (aka BB) and Bobby-Girl swimming and flapping her wings....a joy to see now :D and she will soon be fraternising with Betty & Babs, the ducklings, when they are allowed into the 'big playground' from the kindergarten lol

Thank you Miss Lydia

I know they are happier I can tell by their quacks when they greet me!

When they lived with the neighbour and I would go out every morning to let Bobby-Girl out, and bring the babies from indoors to the outside pen for some natural daylight they would call to e over the fence across the gardens....I would call over "hello duck ducks" and they would quack back, but now they live with me they are so much louder and more vocal ...and they even sound stronger in health if that makes sense? They have come from a dirty pen with no food or water, no straw to bed down on and only roofing felt to walk on!....to free ranging all day long, food and fresh water available constantly, treats daily, a bath of water to swim in and a new pen filled with straw to sleep in every night.....so I should hope they are much happier lol

DuckDuck (aka DD) couldnt even walk!....she would crawl around on her stomach and couldnt even flap her wings I had to carry her to and fro for bed, swim time and food etc it was heartbreakng to see I didnt think she would make it......she is now happily foraging around with her buddy Big Bird (aka BB) and Bobby-Girl swimming and flapping her wings....a joy to see now
big_smile.png
and she will soon be fraternising with Betty & Babs, the ducklings, when they are allowed into the 'big playground' from the kindergarten lol
I don't know if you've posted pics of your girls yet but I'd love to see them. Sounds like they have a wonderful home too, and you got them just in time. Bless you

All my babies .......with the exception of Ozzie ...he's camera shy ...will add him at a later date lol

Just realised the little ladies are not on there ...will add some now .........

Last edited:
All my babies .......with the exception of Ozzie ...he's camera shy ...will add him at a later date lol

Just realised the little ladies are not on there ...will add some now .........
Love the kitties they go well with the ducks color. lol and is Ozzie a duck? the little guinea pig is so cute I use to have 2 of them long time ago.

So sweet.
love.gif

Last edited:
Thank you Miss Lydia they are all so cute aren't they.....even though I know im biased :D

Ozzie is another cat for the collection lol black and white also as they are all family ....Bella aka Momma cat and her 4 babies (Dorothy, Ozzie, Dexter and BonBon) there was a fifth baby BooBoo but sadly she died earlier this year :(...and then there is Tubbs the stray.

Candy the Guinea Pig belongs to my cousins who have recently moved house so I am fostering her till they are settled ......her friend Sugar died so she is lonely but I believe you are not able to introduce new ones once they are fully grown?

Thank you Miss Lydia they are all so cute aren't they.....even though I know im biased
big_smile.png

Ozzie is another cat for the collection lol black and white also as they are all family ....Bella aka Momma cat and her 4 babies (Dorothy, Ozzie, Dexter and BonBon) there was a fifth baby BooBoo but sadly she died earlier this year
sad.png
...and then there is Tubbs the stray.

Candy the Guinea Pig belongs to my cousins who have recently moved house so I am fostering her till they are settled ......her friend Sugar died so she is lonely but I believe you are not able to introduce new ones once they are fully grown?
I don't know about Guinea pigs but i wonder if they could be introduced the same as ducks etc. putting a fence of something transparent between them so they can see each other till they get use to each other.

I have been thinking about a kitty but I don't think the 5 dogs we have would welcome one into the fold. not ever being around them, Those cats of yours are so pretty love the one with the big blk spots on it. So unique

Back
Top Bottom