When can you feed chicks treats?

I read something on here recently from someone that said they had house trained their chickens and they would go outside to poop.
lol.png

I've tried strawberries and they did not like them, they love the tiny bits of alfalfa hay I give them. My buns don't really like the hay that's why I give the chicks small bits of it.
This morning I put chick feed and water into a small dish and let have at it. They were in heaven! I want to find other healthy things for treats.

I didn't know you could keep chickens in the house! Can they be trained to use litter or something?
These hens were my first attempt to have animals with a job, but I'd love to make pets out of them.
I love this: "animals with a job" AND that you want them as pet-like as possible. This post was a while back (like a year). Are they pets now?
This is day 2 of having my going-on-2-week-old-chicks get used to my hand ... with a treat in it. Boiled egg, smashed up. They love it on a plate with their crumbles. My hand is viewed with caution. A few come up, briefly. The Speckled Sussex esp. Sigh! I feel so rejected. I keep trying though. But not with the egg in my hand. I want them eating their chick feed. Am I nuts to put my arm/hand in there gently several times a day with crumbles, crumbles and egg once a day? hoping they'll finally say, "Oh it's her. Hooray!"
Earth worms, yes? Earth worms, no? Whole? Cut up? It's been pouring and they are easily found. I'd not give them to the chicks more than once a day. Give them egg on the same day?

Of course, all of this is to bribe them into associating my hand with good things, and to come flocking to me.
lau.gif

My hens don't live in the house, despite my efforts to have them elevated to house pet status. Your chicks will soon know you as the food provider and will be very excited when they see you. My girls follow me around all the time, just sure I'm going to give them a treat, whatever I'm doing at the time. They are as petlike as an animal can be that I'm not allowed to keep in the house (my BH already thinks I'm crazy enough). Its important for them to eat their crumbles but a nice earthworm can help provide grit, and it's super funny to watch them fight over it. I've had success with yogurt as well.

I would not feed chicks earthworms as they can transmit Coccidiosis. Cocci can be deadly, especially in chicks. Try cutting up tiny pieces of grass or if you can find chickweed, they love that too. Mine love both.

One of the first treats my chicks got was when they were four weeks old and I was in the garden building a coop for them - I was digging up the soil, and an earwig ran out. I went to kill the earwig before it hurt my chicks (hah!) but one of the chicks got to it first and gobbled it all up! They also enjoyed leftover cooked rice and bread.

Back
Top Bottom