when can you put the chicks with the hens?

our chicks are always in their part of the run but the hens are free ranging in the yard while we are home and in the run while we are away. we have 4 hens and 4 chicks. my coop is 4x4 and has 4 nests and 3 roosts.

our chicks are always in their part of the run but the hens are free ranging in the yard while we are home and in the run while we are away. we have 4 hens and 4 chicks. my coop is 4x4 and has 4 nests and 3 roosts.

I would start by free ranging them together. Then move them into the coop together.

Another option is to put the chicks in a wire cage in the coop for a few days - I'm going for this option with mine.

If you are real brave... I would wait until they are a little older for this one... just put the chicks in the coop at night.

I would put them in a cage where they can see the new chicks, but not get to them for at least a week. Then let them out when you can keep an eye on them. The older hens will be kind of tough on the new ones for a few days while they work out the pecking order but they will soon blend in together.

Quote:
I just put my 5 week old chicks into the Big Coop today, inside of a large dog crate, and will be leaving them there for (a week?). I felt like such a mean mom leaving them out in the cold night (it's actually down in the 40's tonight!) but I know it's time. So far the Roo and the Girls are barely interested in them, which I think is a good thing. I have two little bantams that get along just fine with the big girls, so I think the chicks should be accepted just fine. I did just peek at them and they are all huddled together. I'm resisting the urge to bring them in. I know they're fine.

our hens and chicks are living in he same coop, but there is chicken wire seperating them, so they can't get to each other but they can see each other. by now they're probably use to each other.

our hens and chicks are living in he same coop, but there is chicken wire seperating them, so they can't get to each other but they can see each other. by now they're probably use to each other.

I'd let them out together and see what happens. I put some branches in the coop and run to give the chicks a place to hide if the big chickens came after them. The chicks also roosted on the branches.

I just let my 6 week old chicks out of the pen/brooder today, into the coop with the door open so they can venture outside if they choose to.. So far they are curious and they look outside, but haven't ventured out yet. The older hens don't seem to be interested in them at all. although my rooster had me a little concerned before I realized that he was after the food I put out for them, so I chased him off.

are you sure with such a size difference they won't get pecked to death? i had a bantie sultan that i slowly introduced to the others and she still gets picked on, and i could imagine what the hens would do to them being ten times bigger than them.

(p.s., and should i still have a heat lamp for them at this age?)

Back
Top Bottom