When can you stop turning eggs?

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
So this is my 2nd time incubating eggs and have 6 eggs in the incubator. It’s early on right now but currently I’m turning them by hand 3 times a day as the turner doesn’t work anymore. I’m going away for the weekend on around day 12, I have someone staying at my house who won’t be able to turn them 3 times a day. What is the minimum you can turn them per day, or could you stop turning at day 12? What effect would this have on the eggs?

It's entirely too early to stop turning completely. Turning once or twice a day for the weekend will be enough.

What is the minimum you can turn them per day, or could you stop turning at day 12? What effect would this have on the eggs?
Some eggs can hatch even if they are never turned at all, but the hatch rate is much lower that way.

Turning in the first week is more important than turning later.

I have read that turning beyond day 10, 12, or 14 has no real benefit (measured by how many live chicks hatch.) Different sources gave different numbers of days.

So if they eggs are not turned while you are gone for a few days, starting at day 12, I'm guessing they will be fine. You will certainly be past the point where turning is most important.

Back
Top Bottom