When can you take ducklings out of their brooder?

Duckpip

🦆 Life is better with birds 🐔
May 23, 2022
Canada
Hello everyone!
About a month ago I got five duck eggs. Fast forward to today, all five have hatched successfully, two days ago. I moved them to the brooder a few hours after they hatched, and they have been such a joy to have, so it'll be pretty sad when we have to give them back in a week.

Anyways, we've bee interacting with them inside the brooder, but we have tried taking them out onto the kitchen floor, but when we did that they seemed to be cold, so we put them back immediately. I have tried it again today, briefly, (my goodness are they adorable, running after me whenever I take a step) but I put them back into their brooder quickly because I keep worrying that it might be too cold for them (they weren't shaking today, at least not from what I saw, but I can't help but worry).

Is two days old too young for them to be out of the brooder for a few minutes to roam the kitchen floor, or would they be fine? Or, since I only have them for a week, should I not take them out of the brooder at all?

Thanks,
Duckpip

Last edited:
Yes, I think your ducklings are way too young to be outside the brooder. They need to be kept at 90F for the first week then 85F for the second week and 80F for the third week. We have had 3 week old ducklings out briefly to swim in a kiddie pool but only in warm sunny weather. We make sure to dry them off afterwards with a towel.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with ducklings living outside the brooder -- in a section of the coop -- until they are at least 4 weeks and fully feathered, and with warm night time temperatures. We keep ours in the house until 6 weeks [maybe because we love having ducklings around and have never had more than 4 at one time!]

Yes, I think your ducklings are way too young to be outside the brooder. They need to be kept at 90F for the first week then 85F for the second week and 80F for the third week. We have had 3 week old ducklings out briefly to swim in a kiddie pool but only in warm sunny weather. We make sure to dry them off afterwards with a towel.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with ducklings living outside the brooder -- in a section of the coop -- until they are at least 4 weeks and fully feathered, and with warm night time temperatures. We keep ours in the house until 6 weeks [maybe because we love having ducklings around and have never had more than 4 at one time!]

My apologies if my question was unclear, but I didn't mean keeping them outside. I should have stated this better, but what I meant was floor time. Their brooder is kept indoors, and I was wondering if they were to young to be walking around indoors, on the kitchen floor, for a few minutes. I have no means of taking them outdoors for the week we have them. Again, sorry my question wasn't very clear, and thanks for the reply. 🙂

My apologies if my question was unclear, but I didn't mean keeping them outside. I should have stated this better, but what I meant was floor time. Their brooder is kept indoors, and I was wondering if they were to young to be walking around indoors, on the kitchen floor, for a few minutes. I have no means of taking them outdoors for the week we have them. Again, sorry my question wasn't very clear, and thanks for the reply. 🙂
You were clear. But your floor and house are not kept at 90F are they? Even in their second week, 85F is very warm for your house.

The only time our little ducklings are out of the brooder is when they are being cuddled and being kept warm by our hands and clothes -- and only briefly.

I've taken just hatched ducklings [like a few days ol]out of their brooder to run around on the floor with us sitting with them. Never had any problems. They will let you know if they get cold they won't be walking around exploring. Short trips though.

Last edited:
I let mine out too but I hatch about this time of the year and I'm in Georgia so it's pretty warm here. OP is in Canada where I'm sure it's colder but still, if they are doing fine running around on the floor I'd have no issue with letting them. They will get tired fast and you can just put them back under heat as soon as they're done. You will know if they are getting cold. I don't see that it would hurt them one bit.

I take my ducklings out to run around at a few days old just 5-10 mins
I also start bathing at day 3
I use warm water let them swim for 5-10 mins then dry them with paper towel As it absorbs most of the water then put then In front of My heater while they preen themselves.
I have never lost a duckling mine all grow strong and healthy
I also never start them at 90 I give them 85 heat when using a heat lamp but prefer my heat plate
by week 2 they only use it a little and week 3 mine don’t even use a heater at all
Week 4 mine are outside enjoying life as a duck
Remember mom takes her babies outside to run around and swim at only a few days old
Yes she will warm them under her but not ever 5 mins
Enjoy the time with them

Mine that hatched Tuesday and this morning got some lap snuggles and play time next to my desk away from their brooder today.

Attachments

• E8C412C1-8433-41CB-A1F2-E51BF16AAB36.jpeg
    E8C412C1-8433-41CB-A1F2-E51BF16AAB36.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 6D381E83-2FEC-469F-ADDB-E8919A92BACF.jpeg
    6D381E83-2FEC-469F-ADDB-E8919A92BACF.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4FCF268B-8E1A-41EA-ADC7-D032D1C08C8C.jpeg
    4FCF268B-8E1A-41EA-ADC7-D032D1C08C8C.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 1
  • F3E0AA30-88B9-495F-AF58-724D9AB5CEC5.jpeg
    F3E0AA30-88B9-495F-AF58-724D9AB5CEC5.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the replies, everyone! We have a heat disc near their brooder, so we let them out for a few minutes near it and they seemed to like it. They even fell asleep for a while. :love

@indianaducks, your ducklings are adorable! Mine also hatched on Tuesday! 😄

@New duck mommy 2021, I certainly will enjoy them! Thanks again, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom