When can you tell if you have any roo's?

I’m following this thread. I have three week old chicks as well, but a good backyard mix breeds. There are some that are definitely more bold and like to fight, but i cant Tell at all. Hoping to glean from all y’all!!!

Too early to tell for sure, but lots of suspect combs in there from size, but not color. Usually cockerel combs get darker red than the pullets. I also look at the girth of the legs. In my experience cockerels have a much more developed undercarriage / thicker legs than my pullets. Ultimately, when they start feathering out well you can tell from their saddle and arrow feathers. And of course there's always that first pathetic crow that sounds like a cross between a dying frog and a cat in heat. :)
So, you think I have a lot of cockerels? Uh oh. :hmm:hit

If I was gonna pick any to be a roo at this point it would be number 4 but I really couldn't be sure. But they will tell ya sexed chicks are about 80percent correct so if you get ten you could get 2 roos and still be within their margin of error. If you don't already have a plan for your roos ya ought to start looking at the possibility and know what you are going to do.

If you have more than 1 cockerel in your brooder they might start to spar soon. That’s what gives it away for me, before the combs grow I watch for sparring or displays of dominance. My EOs starting chest bumping at 2 weeks and were trying to kill each other by 4 weeks 😬

If you have more than 1 cockerel in your brooder they might start to spar soon. That’s what gives it away for me, before the combs grow I watch for sparring or displays of dominance. My EOs starting chest bumping at 2 weeks and were trying to kill each other by 4 weeks 😬
I have seen 4 fights so far. They stand as tall as they can and sometimes circle.

I have seen 4 fights so far. They stand as tall as they can and sometimes circle.

Hens will absolutely stand their ground and "fight" at that age too. They're testing their bounds. I would be very careful getting rid of any that seem outgoing.

And I didn't say you have a bunch of cockerels lol. Just that there are plenty in there, at this age, which could be suspects! :)

In 3 more weeks we will be able to tell you for sure.

Back
Top Bottom