When can you tell if you have any roo's?

I have anticipated and re anticipated if/which of my chicks are roos's. I ordered all pullets, but I have suspisions of some being roo's. I was wondering, at what age can I/BYC tell the difference between roo's and pullets? Thank you!

Rooster chick always a dominant boy he will run play and bite you and u can possibly see his young testosterone levels . In coming age weeks you notice a small comb coming on his head usually hen develop comb lately then rooster . My rooster devlope comb in 3 week of age . In 7-8 week u see small crowing movements . Saddle feathers visible u can see small tiny spurs also

These are characteristics of baby rooster

One of my best and earliest flyers now has a bright red comb and wattles at 5 weeks, so probably a roo. Not sure if I'd use that as a gender marker. Other than that, I'm sorry, I wish I knew as well!

Too early to tell for sure, but lots of suspect combs in there from size, but not color. Usually cockerel combs get darker red than the pullets. I also look at the girth of the legs. In my experience cockerels have a much more developed undercarriage / thicker legs than my pullets. Ultimately, when they start feathering out well you can tell from their saddle and arrow feathers. And of course there's always that first pathetic crow that sounds like a cross between a dying frog and a cat in heat. :)

Mine sounded like an owl at a few months old: hoo-hoo. I was very confused until it began to sound more like a strangled crow. Another roo waited until just before the same aged girls started to lay and, although the first one sounded like an accident, it was pure crow from then on out.

You can tell if they are male or female by their wings even from just a few days old. Take their wing and spread it out. If there is one row of feathers it's a Roo if it has two or more rows then it's a hen. Once I learned this trick I have not gotten anymore Roos. My first batch I bought I ended up with three Roos since then no more Roos. Hope this helps.

I have anticipated and re anticipated if/which of my chicks are roos's. I ordered all pullets, but I have suspisions of some being roo's. I was wondering, at what age can I/BYC tell the difference between roo's and pullets? Thank you!
Depending on the breed, you can tell in a few days, as soon as the first feathers start to come in. In my experience, the girls' wing feathers will start to come in much faster than the boys'. Their feathering out is always ahead of the boys. Secondly, the boys grow long, stout legs while their bodies still resemble fuzzy tennis balls; the girls seem to stay closer to the ground in stature, and have a longer, more sweeping, front-to-back appearance like small birds and not chicks. Not 100% accurate, but in the 90-something percent accuracy range. This holds true for the heritage breeds I've raised.

Back
Top Bottom