When can't you fry them

Discussion in 'Quail' started by veggiecanner, Aug 8, 2013.

1. veggiecanner

veggiecanner Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I have some hens that were hatched in March, april and may. How should I plan on preparing thes for dinner?

2. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    I would marinate and grill them

3. veggiecanner

May 8, 2013
    good thank you. that really helps. we were going to stew them and it's too hot for that type of food.

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Anyway, like I was sayin', quail is the fruit of the land. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, quail-kabobs, quail creole, quail gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple quail, lemon qual, coconut quail, pepper quail, quail soup, quail stew, grilled quail salad, quail and potatoes, quail burger, quail sandwich.....

(Bubba, from the movie Forrest Gump)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    Sorry veggie canner, I should have typed out a recipe for ya.... :)
    I like to grill quail, rather than frying them. Just because I like the flavor of quail. I feel that if you fry them it takes away the taste I'm looking for. Not that frying is bad, it's great, but I'd rather grill them.
    I like to marinate mine in olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, salt/pepper, Cheyenne powder, and worechestershire sauce. Let em soak for an hour then throw them on the grill. Quail can be cooked rare, so don't over do it.

1 person likes this.
  6. veggiecanner

May 8, 2013
    Sounds good, I'll definetly give that to my husband he is the one that cooks.

7. steve e

steve e Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Hi i just started preparing quail about the time yours hatched...

The first way i prepared them was sooo good... i found the recipe on youtube.. they use bob white quail... but will work for any breed of quail it called oven fried quail. ... another video i watched on there gave me the idea to stuff them with stuffing.. worked great.. tangy and crunchy outer shell is great.

The other way i cook them is on the grill with bacon rapped, and bacon stuffed... i cook them wrapped in foil over med heat for 6-8 min ... then remove foil and finish them off.. if u like spicy u can add jalapenios...

hope this helps... enjoy steve e

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by