When chickens are molting do they loose feathers every day?

Sep 27, 2020
Northern California
My chicken who recently came out if her broodiness is now molting. A couple days ago, she would loose a bunch of liittle down feathers and some real ones. For the past couple days, she hasn’t really been loosing much. No feathers under the roost, and she maybe only looses 1 or 2 down feathers. Is this typical or is she stopping the molt somehow becuase it was triggered by broodiness and it’s early.

She should be ok as long as they grow back. And as long as she's not pulling them out like crazy.
Yea she’s not. I was just wondering because she’s slowed down a lot, like she hasn’t been loosing much at all the past few days. In all she’s been molting for 10 days but for the past 2/3 she hasn’t been loosing any feathers. Is she somehow stopping her molt?

Post broody molts I've witnessed are generally fairly short (under 2 weeks) and not very severe. They're just trying to return their bodies to a normal pre broody condition.

Will she lay between now and fall? I don’t need the eggs, so it’s not a problem for me just curious
She may or may not, due to the fact that we're closing in on fall.

Back
Top Bottom