when chicks hatch, will they fall out of the nest?

nannygoat

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Hi, i am new to this. I have a hen sitting on a dozen eggs or so about 2.5 feet off the coop floor. When the chicks hatch could they fall out of the nest box? Should I move all of the hatched chicks and mom to the floor and build a temporary safe area around her or put her in a cage in the coop? . Is there usually a long time between eggs hatching that while waiting for the last ones to hatch the first ones fall? My coop is 6 x 6 x 8' at center with 15 chickens total. Thank you.

welcome-byc.gif
the mother hen will not let them come out of the nest, or at least mine do not

Once she if finished hatching all her eggs you might set her up in a nice safe corner isolated from interference from the others. Sometimes the mommy can raise a ruckus with others in the coop. Babies can fall out but she usually keep them snug until she is ready to get off the nest and take a break. The babies will jump out to be with her then but getting everyone settled is always a safe approach. I would not move her or disturb her while she is doing her job.

wav_l-r.gif
WELCOME to BYC!!!

Once she does let them out of the nest, they can hop down from quite a ways safely, (a surprisingly height really and 2.5 ft isn’t bad) she’ll get out and cluck like crazy till they follow her, they just won't be able to get back up too high, but they are so fluffy and light, they sort of just bounce right out... so I'd have a second 'nest' area ready for them after they get down. I used the bottom of a cat crate last time, placing it on the floor in a safe sort of 'corner' after she gets em out of the first area. The sides kept nesting material in, but the front lip was low enough for the chicks to get into. She probably won't want to move out of the one she's in now though... not till the peeps are out.

Back
Top Bottom