When did everyone's Brahmas start to lay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickchick, Nov 16, 2007.

1. chickchick

chickchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    HI, I thought it would be neat to see when everyone's Brahmas began to lay.

we have 2 light brahmas, one is named Penelope, the other is unnamed, (she is my son's and we haven't settled on a name yet) and they are 25 weeks old, not yet laying, but the sweetest, friendliest hens ever!

what about yours?

2. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    My Dark Brahmas started to lay between 6 and 7 months old. They mature slower that other breeds and don't reach maturity until about 18 months. I think they are worth the wait. They are some of the sweetest and most gentle hens I have.

Georgia

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Lt Brahma was WAY early at 19.5 weeks old! My Buff Brahma made me wait till she was 30 weeks old.

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Our Lt. Brahma's started laying two weeks ago. They were 26 weeks when they layed their first eggs. They took a little longer than most, but the eggs are beautiful and perfectly shaped. Also the cleanest eggs by far. Best of luck with yours.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My light brahmas were always around 6 months before they laid...I have a pullets now that going passed six months and not laying....

6. i'm waiting on my new Lt. Brahma pullet (shes 22wks old) i just got her today, so i'm hoping for some eggs tomarrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by