When did your Black Australorps start to lay?

Quote:
Oh snap!
lol.png

Mine are definitely girls...thank goodness!

I have 3 and one laid at 22 weeks, the second took 30 weeks the third I'm not sure I have never seen her lay. the two that lay, lay every day! My buffs did to, until this last week. Now we get 2 eggs a day. Usually 1 buff 1 lorp. Of course one of my buffs went broody and no rooster lol today we got 2 lorp eggs. We have a total of 2 buffs 3 lorps

Quote:
Mine that I think is a BA (not quite sure if it's a BA, BJG, or mix) just started laying last week. She just turned 20 weeks old Sunday. Her eggs are very small right now...hoping they get bigger.

What is "grooming the rooster"? Because I've seen my roo bend down & let her peck at him gently (maybe food off of him?) lately & wasn't sure if that was normal.

Quote:
This, essentially! Sometimes the two that look ready to lay will nibble at his face/hackle feathers like they are grooming him, whereas the other two girls couldn't care less and are in their own happy world full of unicorns and rainbows. Sigh.

I have an Australorp, 26 weeks, not quite laying. I just got my first egg from my Buff Orpington:celebrate (I caught her in the act this morning!) yesterday & today (at least, I think it was her both days:confused:). I think this early onset winter we're having has prolonged the onset of laying. I added light 3 nights ago & got my first egg 24 hours later. Could be a coincidence, but I am choosing to think it is not.

Hmmm...I have thought about adding light, but I think I am still more inclined to let nature take its course. Our weather has been unseasonably warm here in Ohio for the past few weeks, and I keep hoping that it will nudge them into production.

So happy for you and your first egg!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom