When did your GLW start laying?

lacymarie0526

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Mine is 22 wks today and I haven't seen an egg yet. But at the moment she is the only lady that I have. It's her and one roo. I figure it should be soon but just wondering when yours did.

I don't have GLWs, but most chickens start laying between 18 and 22 weeks. Mine are 20 weeks and haven't started yet. Sometimes they can take longer.

Her first egg was TODAY!!! Only squatted for about a week. Was quite noisey today and made herself a little nest in the coop in the pine shavings. I should say noiset both before and after. More so than usual. Happy day for us.

I have three Wyandotts, two SLW and one GLW. One SLW started laying at 5 months, the second SLW started at 5 1/2 months and the GLW started at 6 1/2 months. The GLW was smaller than the other two so maybe she had to grow more to catch up. I guess you just have to have patience.
roll.png

Last edited:
I got GLWs and BLRWs, with a speckled sussex and ameracauna. We got our day old chicks on May 1, and got our first egg Nov 29th.

Their combs were red and they started squatting around 18 weeks old. It was a long wait from there til an egg for us.

Our girls and their roo free range in our yard.

Back
Top Bottom