When did your hens start laying??

Chickenkate17

Songster
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
California
I know I'm being impatient (my girls are just over 18 weeks), but I'm trying to predict when the first egg will be.
hmm.png

What age did your hens start laying at? I'm thinking there's a general range between 18-25 weeks.
hmm.png

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
One of my BSLs layed at 21 weeks, the other 3 BSLs layed at 25-26 weeks. My 2 EEs started at 26-27 weeks (up to this Tuesday). It seemed like forever, but they're all finally laying! Hope you see some eggs soon! Happy holidays!

EEs, SS, and BRs are all later maturing breeds. EEs especially are known for taking a while. If you posted pics of your girls we could take a guess of how long your wait for eggs will be!
smile.png

I got my first egg from my 22 Buff Orp x BR pullets when they turned 19 weeks.

I realized I was feeding the wrong feed so it took my girls quite a while, lol.
roll.png
5 1/2 months was the first, then 6 12, then 8, then 8 1/2 for my EE. Don't worry, it's gotta come out some time.

Last edited:
We have 4 Barred Rock's - pics on our page - over 20 weeks old, still no eggs, but they are only getting 10 hours sunlight per day, so they will lay as/when ready. I am putting up lights in their house to give them extra light each day.

That is a very loaded question. Of my original flock (1 EE, 1 BR, 1 white leghorn, 1 wellie, 1 RIR), the EE was older than the rest and laid right at 30 weeks. She lays 2-3 days on/1 day off. The BR did not lay until she was 35 weeks. The leghorn laid her first egg at 22 weeks, but only laid for 6 weeks, then became eggbound and died. The RIR and wellie were put down at 32 weeks for other reasons, but neither had developed combs nor wattles and, hence, never laid any eggs.

I have one EE I bought in November, and she started laying at 27 weeks according to the people I got her from.

Soooo my girls laid for the first time anywhere between 22-35 weeks. It's so nice now, though, as we are getting 1-3 eggs a day. We have 3 younger girls that aren't old enough to lay yet, but I just realized one of them is almost 23 weeks and will be old enough VERY soon. She's an American gamefowl/EE mix, and it's gonna be interesting to see what her laying habits are and what color eggs she lays.

Back
Top Bottom