When Did your pekin ducks start laying eggs?

RaisingDucks2020

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
I have 3 pekins and 3 mallards 4 and 5 weeks old :) I know I have a while to wait yet! But I was wondering when your pekins started laying their first egg??

My pekins started laying way earlier than I expected. I can't remember exactly, but I think they were about 20-22 weeks old. My welsh harlequins, who were only one week younger, started laying three months after my pekins.

I got my Pekins March 10th and I just found an egg 2 days ago....thought it was a weird first chicken Egg at first but I’m thinking maybe one of my ducks are the first to lay!?!?
Have yours started laying yet?
E486257F-1210-4B3F-8074-5E50613D2A18.jpeg

Duck eggs feel different than chicken eggs. They feel kind of waxy. The whites are also more viscous than chicken eggs.

Well I think mines struggling a little laying because the second egg yesterday was pretty much shelless it had the think layer around it but as soon as I picked it up it broke. I’ve had calcium out for 2 weeks now. Hopefully it gets better and she’s just working out beginner kinks. I cracked it this morning...for sure duck?
F0D42F91-49DC-41D1-B25E-16763928FB7A.jpeg

Easiest way to tell is to put it in a white bowl. If the white is completely clear - it's duck. If you can't tell, crack a store bought chicken egg next to it. You can see the difference. This does look like duck, They stand up more. But with the clear bowl it's hard to tell

Well I think mines struggling a little laying because the second egg yesterday was pretty much shelless it had the think layer around it but as soon as I picked it up it broke. I’ve had calcium out for 2 weeks now. Hopefully it gets better and she’s just working out beginner kinks. I cracked it this morning...for sure duck?
View attachment 2259695
I call it more mucusy, like it stretches out more and is less watery than chicken. It does look like a duck egg.

Duck Egg?? also can you tell if it’s fertilized? A friend that was over said he could tell by their noises that I have 2 females and a male but I don’t see drake feathers on any and they are around 18-19 weeks old. I did however notice a few days ago 2 of them were very muddy on their backs possibly from a drake...
F30D8AC2-482C-44EF-8F51-5FC91979A0E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom