When Do A Rooster's Spurs Develop?

flinthillbillie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
Flint Hill, VA
Back in December someone gave me a big, beautiful Buff Orpington rooster. He (the man, not the rooster) said he (the rooster, not the man) had just started to crow and was showing signs of developing spurs and so he didn't need him as he already had a rooster for his 4 hens. I'm unsure of the rooster's age - the man said he was born last April, but I would think he would have started crowing before December, right? Perhaps he was mixed up on his 'A' months and meant August. Either way, this rooster still only has nubs where his spurs should be and they don't seem to have grown any since I've had him. Not that I'm complaining, but is it possible they were permanently removed when he was younger?

I don't think they were permanently removed, the stubs would have been bigger than nubs. Some roos just wait there precious time before crowing.

My bantam rooster was born on July 4th last year and he has about 1/4 inch bumps that are not pointy yet. I think it might be possible what he says......but i would think they should begin growing soon. Thats all i got, hope it helps some.

Back
Top Bottom