When do Bantys lay eggs?

Rocket Raley

Songster
12 Years
Jul 6, 2007
Hi, I was just wonder if Bantys are suppossed to be slower about getting started?

In the big coop, my full size golden buffs are 25 weeks old and have been laying for weeks, but the two banty hens in there havn't started. I notice they get in the boxes like they are trying but nothing comes out.

In my tractor my banty girls are 21 weeks and I havn't seen anything there either.

They mature slower so it takes them longer. Just give'em some time, they'll lay cute little eggs that are just perfect for those of us who like smaller portioned meals.
wink.png

I have 3 23-week bantam cochins and NO eggs yet! Not even one!

I actually read, here on the board, that they mature FASTER! ?????? !!!!!

Glad to know there are other banties that are slow! At what point *should* they start laying then?????

I guess I've been lucky...our flock is all Bantams, they turned 22 weeks old yesterday and I've been getting eggs for a couple of weeks.

Our Mottled Cochins started laying at 19 and a half weeks, our Silkies at 21 and a half weeks and one of 3 EE's just began laying right at 22 weeks old. Still waiting on the Silver Sebright and 2 more EE gals to lay.

Dawn

BEWARE of any changes to their environment!

Regardless of how small you may think it is, any change could be a big deal for any individual chicken and delay laying.

My son has a black wyandotte bantam roo and mixed bantam hen -- i had 2 white wyandotte bantams with them.
The hen adored the black roo, but would peck at either of the white ones if they got close to her.
Hoping I had a pair in the white, i finally moved them to another location, and thought "Big Mama should be happy they're gone".
Well, Big Mama stopped laying for 3 weeks -- she had just started back laying about 3 weeks before, and had layed 15 eggs during those 3 weeks.
She is an absolutely wonderful hen and excellent layer.
Besides the 3 week broody period and another 3 weeks afterwards, she lays on average 5 eggs a week, and pretty good size for a bantam.

I was looking for a thread about this very topic. I have bantam frizzles and bantam silkies. Both about 22 or so weeks. No eggs yet. Not a one. The silkies just started to become, er, sexually active? The frizzles have been for weeks. Still no eggs. Any ideas?

See there, I asked the question and I got one:D

We got our 1st banty egg from our little runt. She is a black rosecomb and is 26 weeks old.
The egg is supposed to be brown but this is whiter than a white egg. Not cream color or beige. It's white. I don't think she got the memo:/
IMG00006.JPG

Back
Top Bottom