When do Black Swedish get their adult feathers?

Sakura

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
Cantonment, Florida
We have some ducks that were born on March 21st (my birthday!), so their about nine weeks old or so. We have two Black Swedish and two mixes, one of which has a pom-pom. Names:

LOUD Black Swedish with black beak: Kuro (Japanese word for black)
Quiet Black Swedish with peach beak: Momo (Japanese word for peach)
LOUD mix-breed with brown feathers with white spots but has a lot of white: Baka (Japanese word for idiot)
lol.png

Peeping mix-breed with Runner in it that looks like Baka, only with darker brown: Kupo (little creatures called Moogles from a video-game with red pom-poms that say Kupo after every sentence.)

Whew! Now that you know a little about the quakers, here's my problem:
I don't know if my Black Sweds are male or female. We know that Baka is a female because she's so loud, but we can't tell with Kuro and Momo. Kuro is very loud, but Momo is quiet. I think the answer to this question will help:
When do the Black Sweds get their adult colors and feathers in? If I know this, I think I can tell. If we only have one female, we'll have to get more, I think. Maybe Muscoveys would be good; after all, they'll kill snakes.

I'll load some pics when I get them back. Thanks a lot everybody!

See y'all! (Country's my way, y'all!!)

Last edited:
We think the black ones are a male and female. Maybe they are black swedish, or a mix.

One is bigger, very very quiet, and still has very black feathers.
The other is a little smaller, very very loud, and feathers under the wings are turning grayish.

Still not sure about the buff-colored ones. Surely one is a female, she's the loudest and smallest of the bunch. (She was supposed to be Pekin, but she's not.)

But the crested buff duck is weird. He still makes baby duck cries (he's the only one) and they are 2 months old now. He's a little bigger and much darker than the other buff-colored one.

So maybe 2 males/2 females, or maybe 1 male/3 females. We were just hoping NOT to have 3 males and 1 female, so hopefully we won't!

I guess we have to wait for the drake feathers after all to be sure. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm afraid I'm of no help in the sexing department, but I'd love to see pics of your quackers! There are a lot of little duckling and grown duck pics out there, but not many in-between.
big_smile.png

P.S. I like your name choices!
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom