When do Bob white quail start breeding and laying?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
I was wondering about my Bobwhite Quail, I have I think 2 males and 1 female, well for sure the female and one male not sure about the other one, They are a little over 15 weeks old and I noticed that she was hunkering down when the boy comes over to her. I haven't seen any breeding just the hunkering down part. I haven't heard any crowing, do they sound like chickens when they crow? So what age do they normally start laying? and how often? Is there anything that I need to prepare for her, a special nesting box or anything like that?
If the one that Im not sure of turns out to be a male should I remove him to another pen and just leave the couple together, they all get along right now with no fights or anything. Any way I can use all the info I can get! Thanks in advance Sandy:th

Hi there! I'm not real familiar with bobwhites, but I believe it is about 16 weeks for egg laying. Then the hens should lay an egg almost every day during the season (about March to October).

You probably should move the extra male, as the two males together can injure the one female. I would also try to get some more females. Ideally there should be at least 3 females per male.

The bobwhites have a very distinctive crow, that sounds like 'bobwhite' from what I've been told. I don't know that I've ever heard them!! But they do not sound like chickens.

The 'hunkering down' thing is the female telling the male she is ready to breed, he just must not be interested yet. Either that or they are 'doing it' when you aren't looking
tongue.png

Like I said, I'm not familiar with bobwhites, but I don't think they need any type of nest. I'm not sure if they ('domestic' bobwhites) will set their eggs or not.

Hope someone else comes along that deals with bobwhites more!
smile.png

Hi Shelleyd,
That is alot of information for someone that says there not very informed about them, Wow!Its a 100% more than I know LOL!
Well maybe I have heard him crow then because I have heard him call Bobwhite, just didn't know it was a crow!
I kinda thought that might be what the hunkering down was all about but wasn't sure, and it is entirely possible That I have missed the deed all together! She sure likes the one male! Everytime he comes up to her she hunkers down and he walks away, boys, I guess he is a slow learner!
Im not sure where i could even find Bobwhite quails, I got these when I ordered my incubator and only have 3 left thanks to my toy poodle ! He stole there food and water dish while i was at work and bumped the heat lamp and pointed it directly on them and they died of the heat. But I think your right I should at least take the other male out when the time comes .
Thanks for all the information it was very helpful! Sandy

heya! I recently got a few bobwhites from a guy near me. He said that they are 14 months, not weeks, old. He also said that they just started laying about 2 days befor I got them. Was he lying or was he telling the truth?

Thanks!

Cody!!

Bobwhite reach maturity at 16 weeks, but won't start laying until 21- 25 weeks of age. They can lay up to 100 eggs a year in the right environment and diet. I would only keep her with one male.

Cody I would say either something was wrong like diet or environment or he was lying to you.

Julie

Last edited:
I have no idea. But that seems alittle crazy but hey I know nothing about these guys and i also read somewhere that is was about 16 weeks and that is a far cry from 20 some months. Maybe the quail experts can help you out with this one! Good luck I will also be very interested in learning more about them too!
Oops, sorry you said 14 months, I misread your question, sorry.

Last edited:
Bobwhite mature out at 16weeks but won't start laying until the following spring or summer depending on where you live. Illinois may not quite be warm enough for them yet.

Once they start laying, boy do they lay!!!! My year old females are giving me about an egg a day each!! My males let each other know they are around by their calls especially in the evening. I think my 14 week olds are doing dueling calls with my year olds instead of dueling banjos! LoL!

Quote:
I love the part about the calls they make. I enjoy just sitting there listening to them when the guineas start honking. Then the quail try to be the loudest.

Cody!!

we had 3 guinnes last year and my dh couldn't take the noise either. He said he couldn't even walk out in his yard without their noise, so, into the pot they went. They were delicious!!!!

Back
Top Bottom