1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Willow's Meadow, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Like how old/how many weeks old are they when they start laying eggs?

2. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

There is no set rule for when chickens will lay...but a good rule of thumb is 19-24 weeks on average. Think of it like humans..not every female hits puberty at the same age...kind of the same thing here. [​IMG]

Having said that, I have 2 BOs that are the same age. One matured much faster than the other. She laid at around 22-23 weeks and the other was 26 weeks.

You should be able to tell that they are getting closer when their combs & wattles grow & everything on their face turns bright red. Also, you should see the egg squat...Mine also made a tremendous amount of noise...

3. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I think my girls were between 24 - 26, but it all depends on the hen / pullett. Once they do start laying though they are egg machines!

4. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Quote:Ok thanks! lol My pullet's combs and wattles are still very pink.

5. jathall

jathall Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    I have 8,,19 week old hens.. I just got my first egg yesterday!!![​IMG] Wasn't sure who laid it but today I had another one and there was an orange feather on it.. So it had to be my Buff Orpington.. My buff Orpington's have always had barely a comb and wattle light in color and I'd say just in a weeks time it got bigger and darker but still not as big as my australorps and barrocks have gotten. So I was surprised it was the Buffs that are laying first.. I really felt they were getting ready to lay,so I decided to change there feed from the medicated to the laying feed..The feed store said to wait till they are 21 weeks but I really felt at 18 weeks they would be laying real soon.. I was right and I'm so glad I switch just in time..So in my case my Buffs layed at 19 weeks!!

6. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the things I've learned on here is that everyone's experience is different..which has been a great thing since I was getting hung up on the timing of the egglaying. How surprised was I to find that my golden comet laid at 15 weeks and has been a machine ever since. Who would've thought that one would lay so young?? So ya just never know..

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My three BO were 27 and 29 weeks old when they started...

1 person likes this.
  8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:This give me hope. My oldest gal is 28 and half weeks old! [​IMG]

9. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My BOs started laying around 18 weeks.

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Ahh, 18 weeks is a good time..I'm hoping my other girls start earlier. Do BO's usually start early> they are big birds aren't they.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by