When do Buff Orpingtons start laying?

My Buff Orpington is my very first hen to lay an egg! She laid the first egg yesterday at 19 weeks. :)

Congrats on your first egg! My Orpington and Australorp are now 30 weeks old and still no eggs. :( The Orpington's comb and waddles are still tiny and pale pink too! I'm learning that patience isn't my strong point. ;) My spouse is convinced they are sterile! :lol:

Did you get an egg yet? I got my first today from my buff orp.. 29 weeks old.. I assume it was her as she is the oldest and most mature appearing and squatting ..good luck!

Well my eggs are now large or close to large in sizes now. My chickens started laying on June 18th of this year. In june I collected 47 eggs. In July I collected 327 eggs. I also have my first Broody hen. She is a Delaware.

It gives me hope too! My buff is 28 weeks. All the other chickens I had started at 20-22 weeks.

. Do you think she is getting close to laying? Does her comb and waddle look red? She is 18 weeks old.

Last edited:
Holly530, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that looks like a roo to me. If he hasn't crowed, he will soon. :(

I have 8 chickens. 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RIR, 1 SLW, 1 Buff Orpington (these 6 are 19 weeks old today), 1 White Leghorn, 1 Welsummer (these two are 18 weeks). These chickens now have red well developed combs, and wattles: 1 BR, 1 RIR, SLW, WL. Last week I started finding small brown eggs. I got one a day for 5 days. Then I started getting one soft shelled small brown egg WITH the normal small egg. Today I figured out that the Barred Rock(Betty Rubble), and the RIR(Lucille Ball) who had turned red were the layers. My Buff Orpington(Chicken Nugget) is HUGE. She is the largest of my chickens but she hasn't developed her comb and wattles yet. The SLW has had developed comb and wattles for longer than any of them but she hasn't layed yet. All of them squat for me if I put my hand on their backs except for the BO, Chicken Nugget, and the Welsummer(Miss Prissy). I think I am lucky that I have two layers already from reading the other posts. My Buff Orpington is a little piggy, and very verbal about it. I am sure when she is ready she'll probably lay a full size egg the first time! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom