When do "chick brains" turn into "big chicken brains"?

CuteClucks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Whenever I read about chicken development it always focuses on feathering stages and point of lay. I'm curious, when do chicks start thinking less like chicks and more like hens/roosters? The oldest in my flock are five weeks now and fully feathered but definitely still act more like babies than adults. Is it still the 5/6 month mark?

I want to "train" these guys to free range and come back to the coop at night but they are definitely still way too young for that, and don't seem to grasp the concept of "home" very well, especially if they get nervous so I'm keeping them in their little day-run during sunshine hours and putting them back in the brooder at night.

Of course on top of that I am just genuinely curious. Dogs are mentally immature far longer than was originally thought I know, but I don't know about the maturity aspect in chickens.

Thoughts?

You don't really have to train them, mine was going out of the chicken shed, with access to acres and acres of our land, and still came back, once they're locked in a shed with a little outside bit, they get used to it, I had my chicks in the shed from about 12weeks old, I turned them out as 'adults' but didn't let them out to roam free range until they was about 16-17 weeks olds, and then I didt train them, if you open the gate or whatever and let them find their own way out, don't rush them out, and they'll know where home is, for the first few months, they won't roam far...after a bit mine realised when I shouted my roosters name, Greg, they knew they was getting corn and they'd run over to me, well hope I helped

So I guess about 5months they're no longer you little babies, they're more Independent! I felt rubbish when I realised my chicks didn't
Need me to look after them anymore haha

I agree with crazychick if you have them in the coop for a few days or even a week if you not sure.. and then open the door they know where home is supposed to be...

theres no way I will keep my chicks in brooder for over 7 or 8 weeks unless I got them to early and snow is on ground...I don't have time to baby them and they surly don't need any babying at this age...sure when there younger they just don't go as far when they start going out but they do what they need to do

Last edited:
No I don't, mine go in a smaller pen on my yard to get them used to the outdoors and perching, then I move them to the main chicken shed and keep them in a pen until I feel they're ready to roam

Last edited:
Mine move into their coop at 5 weeks old. It has plenty of natural light and ventilation so they stay in there for a couple days before I open the door to the run. They go into the coop on their own when it gets dark. I don't let them free range until they are bigger, about 10-12 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom