when do chickens get broody?

After trying everything I'd read on how to "break" my broody hen and after failing miserably again the second time it happened, I ordered nine fertile hatching eggs from Meyer's Hatchery. I just figured if she wanted babies that bad I'd let her fulfill her mothering instincts. She hatched five out of nine successfully. It was a great experience for me too. Three of the five were hens--two black australorps and one silver-laced wyandotte. I had to re-home two buff orpington roosters. (That was the worst part of the whole thing.) I'm planning on ordering more fertile eggs if/when she goes broody again this spring. (I would post some photos but I no longer see that option. It's been awhile since I posted.)

I think my hen is broody, she has not come out of nesting box for 2 days. Wont let you near her, so know ide if any eggs aee under her. He just goes for you when you try touch her, which is not like her. Sje not et come out for eating or drinking. Not sure wot to do, we hv'nt not a rooster so cannot be fertile. Any help greatfully received.

I just jumped on here with this exact question... I'm reeeeaallly new to this chicken thing and although I love my girls I'm constantly stressing about whether I'm doing right by them.. Got a new girl in the coop yesterday and immediately my youngest and usually most timid decides to go all weird ...
Gone to the coop this morning and she's camped out in the nesting box sqwarkijg and puffed up ...
Type in the words 'grumpy chicken' and I find my answer... You guys rock !!!

Yea I Had One Chick And Its Been A Year And None Of Them Have Been Broody I Am Sad When Will They Get Broody
barnie.gif
idunno.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom