When do chickens lay?

Mine lay by 10:00am every morning, and they each seem to announce what they have done. I find it hilarious!

We had our first egg today, and loads of clucking after... So proud!!
Once they lay one, do they just keep going, or do they sort of warm up to their standard weekly lay?
I'm in Melbourne, Australia, and we're a week from Spring starting, so I'm hoping they all get on the lay!!

Interesting thread. Most of mine lay in the morning with a few in the afternoon. I'm curious where people heard about the 25hr "rule" That can't be the only piece of the puzzle because there is a wide variance in the number of eggs laid per breed. Perhaps it is one contributing factor?

I go out by 10:00am and there are 4 eggs in the nesting box, then again by 4pm and there are 3 more... still have 2 girls that have not started to lay.. (the whole flock is 5 months old)..

I understand the 25 hour cycle, but not a one of my hens has ever laid an egg later than 1pm. I have nine pullets that will be 16 weeks tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what they do once they are up and going.

Anticipation is never greater than waiting for those first eggs!

I am new to this also and this is my first flock of 6 hens. They are 23 weeks old now. I have 3 laying. My Rhode Island Red was first, second was my White Leghorn and my Barred Plymouth Rock just started laying last week. I still have an Australorp, Buff Orpington and Americana left to lay. I noticed today that my Australorp and Americana is starting to squat when I pet them. Hopefully it will be soon for them. The 3 that are laying all lay in the morning. They are finished by 10:30 a.m. When they laid their first couple of eggs, all of them laid in the afternoon and have now switched to the morning. I am getting 3 eggs every morning and am super excited!

Novagirl73, isnt it fun being an expectant mother? In the coop, out of the coop, in the box or out of the box, free ranging or just walking around and cackling. Its all part of the game that chickens play with your mind. In honesty, I have had 25 plus layers and a rooster at one time and only 10 nesting boxes. It was take a number or be first in line for a while until they started sharing boxes together. Much like a two hole outhouse effect going on! I laugh when you ask what time of day do they lay. Trust that there is no set schedule. But be guaranteed that after dusk they will be snug as a bug on their roosting board until the sun comes up. My birds like to get up in the morning, get fed, drink water and chat for a while. Trust that they do chat and do the chicken egg laying song when they are ready to lay an egg. Depending on the weather and how they are feeling, they could carry their conversation on into lunch or early afternoon. Its really quite amusing to hear them all cackling around the same time. If you have a schedule to keep, not to worry. The eggs will not go bad if you fail to retrieve them right away. We gave up trying to gather them in the morning and now generally gather them when we lock the girls up for the night. I suggest you take a number and relax or pull up a chair and sit for a while.

Back
Top Bottom